September officially marks 35 year since the original release of Super Mario Bros. on the NES and Nintendo is going all out to celebrate. In a special Nintendo Direct that aired earlier today, the company laid out their upcoming plans for the plumber up to Spring 2021.
Check out the summary of the presentation after the break, along with an official press release and gallery!
Super Mario & Watch
Game & Watch seems to be making a return for Mario’s 35th with this special new version. This standalone edition comes packed with Super Mario Bros. pre-installed, this time running much more smoothly than the original with a crystal clear display. Also installed is Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, and Game & Watch Ball starring Mario. Being a Game & Watch system, there is also a clock function with a nifty Super Mario theme… there are even 35 little touches to be discovered.
Game & Watch Super Mario Bros. will launch as a standalone device on the 13th November.
Bowser’s Claws of Fury
The Wii U had hefty handful of gems on the system, and Super Mario 3D World was one of them. February will allow even more people to join in the multiplayer chaos with this Nintendo Switch remake: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury. This version has been enhanced for the Nintendo Switch and even adds online capabilities to its co-op multiplayer! amiibo of Cat Mario and Cat Peach was also announced. More info will be revealed soon; hopefully we will find out more about what Bowser’s Fury entails… a new expansion perhaps> Either way that ending scene of the trailer seems rather mysterious!
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury will launch exclusively for Nintendo Switch family systems on the 12th February 2021 alongside a double pack of the Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo.
Super Mario Battle Royale
Super Mario Bros. is getting yet another re-release, but not in the way you’d expect. Super Mario Bros. 35 pits you and 34 other players in a competitive game of Super Mario Bros. Enemies defeated can be sent over to other people’s games, impeding their progress, very similar to how Tetris 99 works. You can also activate items to give yourself the upper hand.
Super Mario Bros. 35 launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch Online members on the 1st October 2020, though will only be playable until the 31st March 2021.
Get Your Wheels off the Sofa!
In another instance of “I can’t believe this is happening and I must have it now”, Nintendo revealed a brand new take on their popular racing series in Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit. In partnership with Velan Studios, Home Circuit brings the joys and chaos of Mario Kart to live using specially made RC karts. Using the free application for Nintendo Switch, players can race these special karts around custom course in their own living room, kitchen, or pretty much anywhere else around the house. The karts will boost when using a mushroom and will stop when hitting an obstacle. You can compete against the Koopalings to unlock skins for your racers and courses, or, if you have three friends with their own Nintendo Switch and Kart, they too can get in the on the fun too!
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit launches on the 16th October 2020 alongside a Mario and Luigi Kart.
An Eventful 35th Anniversary
Not only are there brand new and improved games for Mario’s 35th anniversary, but Nintendo are also hosting a range of events too. These include:
- Mario Kart Tour Super Mario Kart event
Introduces Mario and Donkey Kong Jr. from the SNES as special racers
Starts 9th September from 8am CEST
Ends 23rd September CEST
- Historical Super Mario items and 35th Anniversary memorabilia will be available to order from the Nintendo UK Store later in the year
- A 35th Anniversary Ninji Speedrun will be available in Super Mario Maker 2 from November
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be holding Super Mario themed in-game tournaments online in November and December
- Would you rather have invicibility with a Super Star or grow really big with a Super Shroom? Claim your side with a special Splatfest in Splatoon 2 this coming January. Physical splatfest t-shirts and keychains will be av available from the My Nintendo Store around the same time.
- March 2021 will see the release of Mario themed furniture in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- There will be various other Mario themed products in collaboration with other companies, such as Mario Jenga from Hasbro
- Unfortunately it seems the UK will NOT be able to participate in the My Nintendo Mario Sweepstakes, nor will we be able to order the Super Mario Pin set from the My Nintendo Store… this could change in the future however and we’ll keep you updated when we hear more
The classic collection from the SNES, Super Mario All-Stars, is launching today on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System application on Nintendo Switch. The collection includes Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario Bros. 3, all of which include enhanced visuals and audio.
Stars, Shines, and Galaxies
The finally announcement of the presentation is one that’s been rumoured for a while, but it’s a relief that Super Mario 3D All-Stars has finally been confirmed. This new title comes packed with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy at a higher resolution, widescreen support, and a more refined experience. The package also comes with a music player featuring tracks from all three games, you can even listen to the songs while the screen is off.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars launches exclusively on Nintendo Switch family systems on the 18th September. Both the physical and digital editions will only be available for a limited amount of time until the 31st March, something which comes to a questionable decision as far as digital releases are concerned.
Medley of a Plumber
Concluding the presentation was a special medley, showcasing 35 glorious years of Mario.
Feel free to take a little breather from the barage of announcements, some of them were pretty big. I just hope other series, such as Metroid and Zelda will receive similar treatment next year!
What did you think of the Nintendo Direct though? What was your favourite announcement? Let us know in the comments or on social media. In the meantime, check out the gallery and press release below (there are quite a few images, so it may take a little while to load)!
NINTENDO MARKS THE 35TH ANNIVERSARY OF SUPER MARIO BROS. WITH GAMES, PRODUCTS AND IN-GAME EVENTSNintendo UK PR
Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. all launching this year
3rd September, 2020 – Mario has come a long way since jumping on that first Goomba in World 1-1 of the original Super Mario Bros. Now, 35 years since the launch of that game in Japan, he is starring in games new on Nintendo Switch, lending his likeness to brands like LEGO, Kinder Joy and Monopoly, and there will even be a Super Mario-themed Splatfest in Splatoon 2 .
In a new video presentation released today, Nintendo detailed several games, products and in-game events that are all arriving for the 35thanniversary of Super Mario Bros. This includes games new to the Nintendo Switch family of systems like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, a collection of three Super Mario games of the modern era: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy; Super Mario Bros. 35, a 35-player online battle in the world of the original Super Mario Bros.; and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World which originally launched on Wii U.
Additionally, the video revealed other Super Mario experiences launching this year, like Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which brings the fun of the Mario Kart series to the real world using the Nintendo Switch system to control a real-life, physical kart; the launch of the classic Super NES game Super Mario All-Stars on Nintendo Switch Online later today*; and a new Nintendo product called Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., a mini gaming device inspired by the retro Game & Watch systems that plays the original Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels and Ball games.
The full video presentation can be viewed by visiting https://www.nintendo.co.uk/mario35. Highlights of the video include the following:
– Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Optimised versions of 3D Super Mario games Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, are coming to Nintendo Switch in one package. In addition to having higher resolutions than their original versions, the games have been optimised for a smooth gameplay experience on Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars also includes an in-game music-player mode to play the music and songs from all three games. Players can also listen to music on their Nintendo Switch systems when the screen is off. Super Mario 3D All-Stars launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on 18thSeptember. The packaged version software is a limited-time only production, and the digital version will be a limited-time only release until the end of March 2021. Super Mario 3D All-Stars is available to pre-order from Nintendo eShop today.
– Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit: Created in partnership by Nintendo and Velan Studios, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit brings the fun of the Mario Kart series into the real world by using a Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite** to race against opponents using a physical kart come to life. The physical kart responds to boosts in-game and in the real world, stops when hit with an item, and can be affected in different ways depending on the race. Players place gates to create a custom course layout in their home, where the only limit is their imagination. Race against Koopalings in Grand Prix to unlock skins to customise courses and costumes for Mario and Luigi, and play with up to four players in local multiplayer mode .*** Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which is available in Mario or Luigi models, launches on 16th October.
– Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.: This new collectable device is inspired by the original Game & Watch systems first released in the 1980s. The original handheld device included a game and could also be used as a watch to tell time. The original Game & Watch series sold more than 43 million worldwide. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. features a modern +Control Pad. In addition to playing classic games Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2) and a special version of Ball with a Mario makeover, Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. also functions as a clock, with 35 little touches to discover, including some guest appearances from Mario’s friends and foes. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. launches on 13th November.
– Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury: Multiplayer mayhem pounces onto Nintendo Switch! This enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World, which originally launched for Wii U, features co-op gameplay both online* and through local multiplayer in a variety of creative levels. Additional details about what new things this game has to offer will be revealed later. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury launches for Nintendo Switch on 12th February 2021. New Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo will also be released as a double pack at the same time as the game.
– Super Mario Bros. 35: Welcome to Super Mario Bros. … with 35 players! In this competitive online battle game, 35 players will compete to be the last Mario standing… or running. Enemies defeated will be sent to other players’ courses, but that also works the other way around! Players can activate special items to try and outpace their opponents. Super Mario Bros. 35 launches 1st October as a digital-only game exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online members*. The game will be playable until 31st March 2021.
– Super Mario All-Stars: The classic Super NES game that includes upgraded versions of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 with enhanced 16-bit graphics is joining the catalogue of games available with Nintendo Switch Online… later today*!
Super Mario Events: From now until March 2021, there are many events to mark the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
-From 08.00 CEST on 9th September until 08.00 on 23rd September, Mario Kart Tour will have a Super Mario Kart Tour event, with special appearances by Mario (SNES) and Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES) from the original Super Mario Kart.****.
-Later this year, historical Super Mario items and 35th anniversary-themed merchandise will be available for purchase at the Nintendo Official UK Store.
-A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course is coming to Super Mario Maker 2 in November.
-In November and December, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have an in-game online tournament using Super Mario series fighters, stages and items.
-A Super Mario-themed Splatfest is coming to Splatoon 2 in January 2021. Keychains will also be available as a My Nintendo reward closer to the Splatfest*****. In addition, physical Splatfest T-shirts will be available for purchase on the My Nintendo Store soon. The upcoming Splatfest asks the important question: Which Super Mario power-up do you prefer: supersize with a Super Mushroom or become invincible with a Super Star?
-In March of next year, Super Mario-themed furniture will be available in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Super Mario Products: In addition to events, many different Super Mario-themed products are now available.
Monopoly Super Mario Celebration from Hasbro is now available at retailers worldwide.
Kinder Joy Super Mario products are now available.
The LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set is now available exclusively at LEGO stores and the Nintendo Official UK Store, with multiple LEGO Super Mario sets now available at retailers worldwide, including the Adventures with Mario Starter Course.
To keep up-to-date with the latest Super Mario news, check out the official Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary website and official Super Mario UK Twitter account.
In a new video presentation released today, Nintendo detailed several games, products and in-game events that are all arriving for the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., including Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, Super Mario Bros. 35 and more.
I am a huge Nintendo fan, hence why NintyBuzz exists. I especially love all things Zelda and Metroid. NintyBuzz was started by me back in the Summer of 2014, it started out mainly as a hobby, though the site has gradually grown, and I hope it grows for many years to come!