1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please log in or create an account to disable this advertisement.

3. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars The Force Awakens Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Lis4Real25, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Lis4Real25

Staff Member Francis

33%
    So I just got back from the Force Awakens and I really wanted to talk about so I thought about creating a thread about it. Although because I don't want to spoil the big twists for people have not seen it yet, I'll put spoilers in a spoiler tag.

So just general stuff first. The overall film is fantastic. The environments they create are so beautiful and interesting. And the humor in it isn't forced and is actually genuinely funny. And best of all the majority of actors new and returning are just amazing. The new ones are especially good. Also the people complaining about Kylo Ren's lightsaber, believe it or not the hand guard actually comes into play believe it or not it's not just something that looks cool. And the rest involves spoilers so I'll hide them, but definitely go watch this movie especially if you like Star Wars.

The story is really well done, but I'll admit they do reuse a lot of plot from previous movies. It's basically a combination of plot threads from the first two of the original trilogy. But they do enough new with it and have enough of a different storyline in between that I was ok with it. Kylo Ren creates a Death Star clone, but it's overall design and use makes it feel new. First of all it is a planet, and I don't mean planet sized, but an actual planet with atmosphere and trees which is so cool. Also it's laser is so much cooler and deadlier than the Death Stars, it basically sucks in the suns energy to blast multiple planets at once. And while the the weak point is still outside in the open, it is at least a lot more protected than just a big gaping hole and it doesn't go down easy. But enough with reusing old ideas let's talk about the new things. Kylo Ren, oh man, Kylo Ren. Such a good villain, and most of that is owed to his actor who is just so perfect. Scenes without his mask are just so well done. And because I gotta talk about it him being Han and Leia's son completely threw me off. I really thought Luke was him or at least involved with the bad guys, but I was proven wrong. And the scene where he finally confronts his father is just so well done. When Han yelled at him, I thought he was dead, but then Ren takes of his mask and his actor was so good at showing this emotion of wanting to get out of this situation that I thought maybe he would be good. But then him saying, I need you to help me overcome this, I knew it was coming and my heart just dropped. The other characters reaction to seeing him getting killed was so good. Chewie broke my heart with his reaction, you know their history together and this is his best friend dying right in front of his eyes, you don't understand his dialogue but you don't have to because you already know it. And man the shot of Han putting his hand on his sons face as he dies it just really got to me. It was as if even knowing his son betrayed him, that he still loved him and wished it could have been different, you feel Han really cared for him and wanted to get him help. It's just so well done, it's my favorite scene in the movie. And the fact that Leia just knows it without any dialogue or anyone telling her was just perfect, because even though she doesn't fight as a Jedi she still has the Force. And I love her reactions with Han in general, it feels like this is the same Han and Leia we loved from the original trilogy. Also I love the other new main characters. None of them feel uninteresting or boring. They feel real. They aren't mopey, they aren't super annoying, the actually have characteristics. Finn is awesome having been raised as a Stormtrooper and basically going against them knowing what they are doing is wrong. Rey is a great character, although having watched Rebels, she feels kind of like a copy of Ezra, I don't know, that may just be me. But her backstory just felt nearly identical to Ezra from Rebels to me. But either way her actor is amazing and she is an amazing character. Seeing Rey and Finn interacting together was always fun and interesting and I always looked forward to it. Poe also was a great character, although I kinda feel he should have had more scenes. He is absent for the entire middle of the movie. My few complaints with the film are only really that they reuse old ideas and that some of the scenes that use CGi look bad. The squid things that attack them in the middle of the film look so fake. Although some of the CGi does look decent like some of the characters that CGi actually look decent. Also just because I'm a huge Mark Hamill fan, I hated he pretty much just has a cameo in this one, granted he will play a bigger part in the sequel, but it just bugs me we only see him for a few minutes.

All in all, I loved this movie.

So have you guys seen it yet, are you planning to, and what are your thoughts on it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Lis4Real25, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. Matty Brapps

Matty Brapps Butter Criminal
    Francis

42%
    Kylo Ren was disappointing.
    I get it, he was supposed to be an angsty kid, but it just cheesed up the whole thing. There's this big show of taking off his mask and he just looks sooooooooo lame. His mask voice sounded bad too. Would've preferred something more sinister, at least up until the big turning point in his arc.

Also the stormtrooper's name is Finn, not Flynn

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lis4Real25

Staff Member Francis

33%
    Couldn't remember how he spelled it and probably because I was tired when I was finishing typing that is how I came up Flynn.

I guess just different opinions. I really did like Kylo Ren, he didn't come across as angsty to me honestly. But again it's a matter of opinion and view point I suppose. And since he did have that turning point we will probably have more of him being completely sinister in the sequel.

4. Zok

Zok
    Francis

40%
    Where is Darth JarJar? This was their opportunity to explain how and why JarJar was so successful in the first few movies.

Overall: 3/10

5. Amy

Amy
    Lakilester

60%
    I came out with the opposite impression. Yes, I thought he looked rather lame, but it seemed to me that the writers made an effort not to have a huge build-up to him taking off his mask. There wasn't some long drawn-out seen or epic reveal. Rey tells him to take off his mask and he just does it.

I would've been more disappointed if they did have a long show of it and a build-up. The fact they didn't actually was the reason why I wasn't upset.

6. Matty Brapps

Matty Brapps Butter Criminal
    Francis

42%
    I think they were actually going for the build up but it didnt quite work out lmao