1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. After eight glorious years of 3DS Buzz/NintyBuzz forums, unfortunately the forums will be shutting down soon.

Thank you everyone for the fantastic memories you helped to make throughout all those years. More details to follow.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

NintyBuzz or NX Buzz Domain Name

Discussion in 'Website Feedback + Community' started by triforceguy1, Feb 11, 2016.

1. triforceguy1

Staff Member Flint Cragley

52%
    Hello,

The merger between 3DS Buzz and NintyBuzz is nearly here, but I've recently been sent some controversial (or at least controversial to me) ideas that the forum should be called NX Buzz and not NintyBuzz.

I'm going to be brutally honest, I really do not like the idea, though it may cause a bit of a buzz (pun intended) but at the end of the day, NX is a codename, not the actual name for the console/device so, once the console has finally been announced, the name NXBuzz would essentially be redundant and may cause some confusion. What happens if we then decide to change the domain name again? Then that will just cause more confusion as some users may not realise that it has changed and it will come to a shock to them.

Another issue is the fact that people will come in thinking that the forum is NX based, but then will hardly see anything about it which may cause a bit more confusion. Whereas, if it is named NintyBuzz, then it is the perfect title for the forum as we have discussion about everything Nintendo on here (and then some).

Back when 3DS Buzz was first created was shortly after the 3DS was announced, whereas the NX, like I said earlier, is just a codename of a console we know pretty much nothing about.

The other problem comes down to costs. Domain names are pretty cheap, however we have to take into account that having two domain names on the same site could cause some costly problems, mainly due to the fact that you are only allowed one domain name per XenForo license, and I'm not sure if two would cause an issue or not. There's also the fact that the WordPress and XenForo bridge (the system that syncs articles and forum posts between WP and XF) may have some issues with using two domain names.

Finally, one of the other issues is consistency. If you click a link to a blog's forum or a forum's blog and find out they have different names, users may start to believe that they are two different sites instead of the same site.

To be honest, the only benefit I can see is maybe increasing Search Engine ranking a bit for a short while

I apologise if I have come down on the idea hard, but I wanted to discuss what I think of the idea, but I also want to hear what you all think too after reading my issues around it.
    Leon

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Red likes this.
  2. XAIXER

Admiral Bobbery

30%
    There is NintyNX. And NX does sound kinda cool...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. triforceguy1

52%
    But what will happen when the NX is revealed with a completely different name

4. XAIXER

Admiral Bobbery

30%
    Add a redirect?

5. triforceguy1

52%
    But then that's wasted money on a Domain that has only been used for a couple months

6. Homer Fanboy

Flint Cragley

93%
    "Wasting money"

It wouldn't be a waste if we can get a number of new members to join the Buzz family. The plan is to get more members. And it's only £10 "wasted".

I'm not saying "NX Buzz" is the best name, but it's better than Ninty Buzz because people are actually searching for NX info. Everyone is hungry for NX news.

There is a gazillion basic Nintendo forums out there already.

XAIXER likes this.
  7. triforceguy1

52%
    Using it for only a couple months is imo, especially with the fact that I only have enough money in my account to renew hosting for only one more year

Also, meta tags and keywords help with SEO just as much as the domain name

8. Famicom3DS

Famicom3DS A knight who says Ni

I'm choosing NXBuzz for this one.

9. Matty Brapps

Matty Brapps Butter Criminal
    Francis

42%
    we should ask google if we can use theirs

10. Homer Fanboy

Flint Cragley

93%
    Use their what?

11. Matty Brapps

Francis

42%
    domain name

Famicom3DS likes this.
  12. Homer Fanboy

Flint Cragley

93%
    I should've known you wouldn't have anything useful to add to the discussion.

13. XAIXER

Admiral Bobbery

30%
    There are free Domain Names...

14. triforceguy1

52%
    *facepalm*
    Free domain names look sketchy, unprofessional, and are useless with SEO

15. Zok

Zok
    Francis

40%
    Ninty Buzz: too generic

NX Buzz: too specific

16. Mr. Fuego

Ms. Mowz

60%
    Perfect Balance: ?

17. Matty Brapps

Francis

42%
    Buzz

18. Blarg

Blarg I didn't like it, I...loved it!
    Squirps

90%
    What impact does domain name have on SEO? Just asking cos if it's not big then we could have the NX Buzz domain and then just change site title, description and keywords etc. when the thing is announced.

One thing's for sure: our "Buzz" brand is too potent to lose.

19. Matty Brapps

Francis

42%
    buzz.com

20. Mr. L

Mr. L The Green Thunder Buttocks
    Flint Cragley

92%
    Anything other than Ninty Buzz.

I didn't spend the last 4 years of my life being invested in this site to then have to type in 'Ninty Buzz' every day to continue going here, even having to bear the fact that 3DS Buzz will have to merge with Ninty Buzz is a kick in the ass to this site.

We all want this site to have more activity but I don't think selling out is any reasonable way to do so.

A year ago Leon was demoted for advertising his site every two seconds and attempting to draw people away from this site and into his, alongside putting a link on our site even though we didn't want it. Well congratulations he has won.

This isn't a merger, 3DS Buzz will officially be absorbed by its rip-off.

Famicom3DS likes this.
  21. Blarg

Blarg I didn't like it, I...loved it!
    Squirps

90%
    I don't think having to change what we type is a massive deal :p

The fact is, things have to change. If we continue on our current path then I'll be the only member left by the time September rolls around. It's not like we're being absorbed by some megacorporation, Leon has been one of our longest-serving members who knows the community inside out just like a lot of us do.

Although his advertising was a big problem a while ago, this is a different kettle of fish and I'm willing to give anything a shot to make this place exciting again, and bring back both a larger regular community than we currently have plus those all-important 'casual' users. I just hope NintyBuzz has enough traffic to at least begin the flow of such members, and that's my one concern.

What do you propose we do, if not merging with NintyBuzz? :)

22. Mr. L

Flint Cragley

92%
    My point is that this is hardly a merge.. it's just becoming NintyBuzz, which I really disagree with.. We're not even keeping the same name which we have established for nearly 6 years now with our community and hard effort put into this site.

As for what I propose we can do?

3rd post in this thread.

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/threads/operation-revive.21849/

23. triforceguy1

52%
    I'm sorry you feel this way, but it is barely selling out, it is simply a sort of reboot.

A year ago, I was fairly immature, and I admit that, but this is something that Adam has agreed on as well as the majority of the active members of 3DS Buzz

And I was not trying to take away traffic from here, NintyBuzz has no forums, but it is a blog, something 3DS Buzz used to have until the end of 2013

This merger is something that everyone can benefit from, I plan to use this to help to reboot the activity of a once great community (still great, but more members would definitely benefit the community) and I hope to also bring back the same feeling we had here between 2011 and 2013.

The plan is to try and make the forum very community based, this is proof because, if I didn't want it community based, I would've just completely shrug off the idea (I was nearly to that point to be completely honest), but instead I've come out with why I don't like the idea but gave everyone the chance to discuss their views too, and it is looking like I will probably use a different domain for the forums section after all. I did the exact same thing for proposing the merger, I discussed how 3DS Buzz could benefit from it and gave everyone the opportunity to discuss their opinion on the matter, the majority of who were incredibly welcome to the idea.

I will still consider Adam as the main owner, and any drastic changes I will make sure to pass them by him and the community.

It's unfortunate, but we all have to eventually learn that things change after a few years have passed, Adam has been busy, and activity has dropped drastically. I simply decided to propose this idea to Adam.

It is sad to see that you are fairly hostile to the idea, and if you do not want any part of it, I am not one to stop you, but we would all much prefer it if you could stay and contribute to the community :)

Blarg and Mr. L like this.
  24. Mr. L

Flint Cragley

92%
    I appreciate what you intend for the future of this community and acknowledge that many others agree with your course of actions with potentially reviving activity.

However, it is in my understanding that it will no longer be the same 3DS Buzz by any means, once the merge is complete.

Hence, I must respectfully decline your offer in staying as it will no longer be the place I fell in love with 4 years ago. It will just not be the same for me. I apologise.

I wish good luck for you and all others who will continue to stay in this community through its next era of change and re-establishment, but I find that I cannot be apart of that change.

Farewell and may you all have great, long lives fulfilled with happiness and good fortune. Thank you all for staying with Buzz even when things have seemed dim.

25. triforceguy1

52%
    I'm extremely sorry you feel this way, but if you ever do wish to return, we will welcome you back with open arms... well maybe once I have a shower of course haha ;)

Famicom3DS and Mr. L like this.
  26. Homer Fanboy

Flint Cragley

93%
    Lupo said in a different thread/chat that he wasn't going to use the name "Ninty buzz". So it's fine :p

27. triforceguy1

52%
    I'm going to quickly discuss the domain with Adam a bit, and then I'll get back to you all and will probably post a final poll.

28. Famicom3DS

Famicom3DS A knight who says Ni

I have to agree with Ben, I'm mildly worried about what may happen to the forum.

I understand why you don't like the name NXBuzz, but it's a majority vote and I think it will be better than NintyBuzz. NXBuzz sounds like it can stand on it's own, regardless if the system's name changes or not.

I don't mind the idea of the forum and NintyBuzz collaborating or merging in a sense but when it takes the identity of 3DSBuzz and makes it an accessory to NintyBuzz and that's when it becomes a problem with me.

There was a serious issue with the forum's members (including myself, though I wasn't as harshly against it as others were) when you decided to advertise your site, which in the long run was the reason you got demoted for about a year or so iirc.

To me this all comes across as you wanting to take over the forum or it's successor or whatever and essentially ignore feedback from the other members, 3DSBuzz was never meant to be an accessory to another site like this.

I'm sorry if I sound malicious with the things I've said, but I just wanted to fully express my opinions.

29. Homer Fanboy

Flint Cragley

93%
    Yeah I agree, I agree with Mr. l on some parts too. NintyBuzz should DEFINITELY not just absorb all of 3DS Buzz. This is us coming together. So it makes sense for us to get a new name.

But Leon already said that it wouldn't be called Ninty Buzz so this shouldn't be a problem :)

30. triforceguy1

52%
    I just want to say that the purpose of this thread was to explain why I didn't like the idea, but rather than completely dismissing it, opening up a discussion about the idea. If it turns out a lot of members are still up for the idea (which they are) then I will enforce it, so please don't go saying that I am ignoring feedback... I can just be rather, uh, hot headed about things, but I eventually do the right thing haha

As for the advertising, like I said, when I started up NintyBuzz back in 2014 (nearly two years ago) I was incredibly excited about my new blog, and I was also fairly immature (heck I'm still fairly immature now), so I admit what I did was wrong. I actually got demoted for a completely different reason though, but I won't divulge any details here lol

Oh, and if anything, NintyBuzz is an accessory to 3DS Buzz, all the fun happens here.

I'll be honest, my original proposal was to give up most of my ownership of NintyBuzz to Adam so he could use it as a new article site, I even offered to give him all the AdSense income too (once it could actually be used). To me, Adam will always be the owner, and I will always run big changes by him and the community before I act on them

Homer Fanboy, XAIXER and Famicom3DS like this.