1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Yoshi's Island 3DS

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Dannyboy, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Dannyboy

OK I want to know who wants it to be released for the 3ds and what they would like included in it if it is ever released:) :cool:

Yoshi rules he makes mario awsome

2. DeadEye

a new Yoshi's Island would be pretty sweet. The DS one was an absolute gem.

3. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

*grumblegrumblewasrightabouttomakethistopicgrumblegrumble*

jk jk jk. You're allowed to make any topic you want on here, as long as it's appropriate. :p

Who wants a Yoshi's Island to be released on the 3DS? Ahem, allow me to present to you...

The article that got me the job here at Nintendo3DS.org.uk.

And there's a follow-up, too.

Together, these two articles contain more than 7000 words and state a plethora of convincing evidence pointing toward the fact that there may, in fact, be a new Yoshi game on the 3DS!

What do 7000+ words of Yoshi fanaticism tell you? :p Also, if you want, I'll write a third one. If I do that, I'll take stuff said on this thread into account.

Anyway, if we're gonna be talking about features in the game, I've got a big one: REMOVE THE BABIES. Please. And that doesn't mean turn it into a Yoshi's Story or do something too outlandish like Yoshi's Topsy Turvy (or Universal Gravitation, as I believe it is in Europe). Heck, it's okay with me if Yoshi gets a life meter like Mario does in his 3D games; just please get rid of those crying beasts.

I want the Yoshi series to return to its platforming roots, but in a new-gen sort of way (by "roots," I mean not so much the original Yoshi's Island itself, but moreso what it did for gamers). Allow me to explain:

There was a little pattern leading up to the first Yoshi's Island on the SNES:

SMB3 = it was like SMB1, but totally reimagined, bigger, better, and louder.
    SMW = almost like an alternate version of SMB3; a little more "bombastic" overall; Yoshi introduced as Mario's sidekick rather than as a character of his own
    SMW2: YI = Yoshi's own platforming adventure; takes the foundation built by SMB3 and SMW and combines it with new ideas and concepts based on Yoshi's abilities and the new abilities of the new Super FX 2 chip; also a technical showpiece designed to show off the raw power of the Super FX 2

Now, let's have a look at the way this pattern has been repeating itself...

SMG = it's often compared to SM64, and for a reason: it's a return to the roots after the more "experimental" Sunshine, but a a complete reimagining; Mario has, for the most part, the same abilities (some of which were dropped in SMS) but they are put to the test in bigger environments; on the whole, the game's very much like SM64 scaled up to the galactic scale
    SMG2 = it is a reiteration of sorts of SMG1, taking its foundation and extending it through new power-ups and the return of Yoshi!

Guess what's next?

YI3DS = takes the formula established by SMG and SMG2 and extends it even further by giving Yoshi's set of abilities the spotlight - if the original YI is anything to go by, we can expect a brand-new ability or two to be unveiled for Yoshi, too; if the pattern continues, it will also be a technological work of art that will push the 3DS to its breaking point to put out visuals that will probably remain unrivaled in sheer beauty and technical prowess for a long, long time

Actually, if YI3DS builds on SMG and SMG2, we can expect a 3D Yoshi game, quite possibly even something akin to Super Yoshi Galaxy! *fanboy squeal*

Whatever. I've discussed this whole "pattern" thing in far more detail in the first article I wrote (the one that got me the job, and is hosted on my personal site). You can read it there.

I've even got some ideas for what new things Nintendo could do in a new Yoshi game. I was thinking that since yoshis naturally live in tribes, wouldn't it be appropriate to try and build a game around that? Human tribes tend to assign roles to their members depending on their abilites; strong people would be sent to hunt, patient ones to fish, smart ones to gather berries and plants.

Similarly, what if they made a game where you were in control of an entire tribe of yoshis (or at least a family of them)? Of course, the differences in abilities will probably be more "fantastic" than humans to fit into the Marioverse, but one yoshi could be a champion jumper, another a great runner. One might have wings and be able to fly (at the expense of say, maximum health) while another could have super-sharp senses and be able to detect items/passageways/food that the others can't. Differing abilities like these would make a lot more difference in an open, 3D world than the 2D one from the previous two Yoshi's Island games.

Alternatively, it could really be taken to the next level if they reused the idea of Yoshi gaining abilities from fruits in SMG2. There could be different areas in the game where different "types" of yoshis would be able to go. A farm, for example, where the "patient" yoshi can grow and harvest these magical fruits; a minigame of its own, perhaps. A flying yoshi would fly back and forth between the ground-based one that is traversing the worlds themselves and the one at the farm, delivering fruits; the ground-based one would be the one that plays the "main game" where you explore levels and eat the fruits to overcome obstacles, with the goal of reaching Bowser's hideout (or whatever).

I could go on all day. Those are just two of my many, many ideas for how they could structure a new Yoshi game.

*looks at scrollbar*
    Holy sh*yoshi noise*, that's a long post. Yeah, I'm definitely obsessed with Yoshi.

4. Dannyboy

Well Feld0 I figured you would like this as you like all things yoshi. And I agree get rid of the babies and find some other story line which just includes yoshis of different colours. p.s thanks for fixing the title for me

5. Qaiz

I've never played it :p

6. Feld0

Qaiz, my friend, you are missing out on the greatest 2D platformer of all time (no, I'm not making that up). As the forum community manager, I hereby order you to go play the original Yoshi's Island! :p

jk jk jk. I'm not ordering you to do anything; but do play it sometime, m'kay?

Guys, what are your thoughts on how a Yoshi's Island-type game could work if they decided to take the series into a 3D environment, a la SM64?

7. Supper

I would love a Yoshi's Island game to be on the 3DS! I have Yoshi's Island 3 for the GBA, and it was probably my favorite portable game! It looked great and was very fun. All I ask is for it to be as good as my one for the GBA. :)

8. Feld0

It would be cool if, for a hypothetical new Yoshi game, Nintendo did something to throw dedicated fans (like me) a bone about the lore of Yoshi's little part of the Marioverse. Something that tells us a little more, perhaps about what the yoshis were up to before Bowser and the Mario Bros. were born (also the perfect excuse to drop the babies)?

I know Mario games have never really been about story, but the 3DS, if anything, proves that Nintendo is ready to make some big changes to how they think about hardware. It's quite likely that their recent tendency to treat their hardware differently from before may have carried over into their game design...

9. Supper

Metroid Other M focused more on story; maybe that will carry on over to some of the new 3DS games.

10. 3D Gamer

Sushie

25%
    Me too!
    The only downside is... I lost my Yoshi's Island GBA:(.

11. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Other M wasn't really my style, if they make games like that, then I hope they make an equal amount of games that are more like the games such as Super Metroid; ones that don't have as much cinematic parts. I don't know, I just don't really like the movie type games. . . .

12. Supper

Yeah, Metroid wasn't really suited to a story-based game in my opinion.

13. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

The villain could be an evil Boshi taken over by some alien life form! [​IMG]

14. Feld0

Wasn't Boshi already evil? If he's taken over by an alien life form, then that alien life form would be the antagonist.

Methinks ending sequence like Super Paper Mario. :p

I actually have a rather elaborate set of ideas for how they could make an incredible co-op Yoshi game. Should I share? xDD

15. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Yes you should. XD Boshi wasn't evil like take-over-the-world-or-blow-it-up-muahahahaha evil, he was more I'm-gonna-rig-this-so-I-get-cash evil.

16. Feld0

Okay, I'll try to keep it short.

The idea I've had for a new Yoshi game revolves around the original three Yoshi powers (from SMW): fire breath, earthquake creation, and winged flight. What I've got so far goes something like this:

The Yoshis had a god known as the legendary Tricolor Yoshi. This very special, immortal Yoshi possessed the three powers mentioned above, and could use all three of them simultaneously. You wouldn't want to get on his bad side as he could kill you in an instant - he was a god, after all.

But one day, a great evil appeared that had figured out a way to kidnap the Tricolor Yoshi and siphon out his powers. The Tricolor Yoshi, knowing what the consequences would be of his power falling into evil hands, didn't have much time left before the evil forces found him. In his desperation, he split up his powers and sent them away to the very ends of Yoshi's Island, leaving the once-great Tricolor Yoshi little more than just a normal Yoshi now.

The next day, three Yoshis in three different villages on Yoshi's Island all woke up, feeling...different. A red one felt an unusual hotness emanating from deep within his body; sighing after wondering about it for a bit, he fell back in shock when he saw a large flame fly out of his mouth. Elsewhere, a yellow Yoshi had also just risen from bed, feeling that it was a bit harder to do so today than usual. At first, he thought he had gained weight after a feast the previous night but he quickly figured something was up when he took a step out of bed and watched his hut's ceiling come crashing down. In a third village, a blue Yoshi had, too, woken up, and felt an odd pain from sleeping on his back. He dismissed it at first, attributing it to sleeping in an uncomfortable position...before realizing he had somehow reached his hut's roof during the night.

They didn't know it yet, but each of these three Yoshis had received one of the Tricolor Yoshi's sacred powers. The three were destined to meet up and together with their collective powers, thwart the evil forces that had kidnapped the Tricolor Yoshi to restore peace and order to their island.

---

I'm thinking that each of the three Yoshis could have differences in gameplay style, to make each of them unique to play as. The fire-breathing Yoshi could have action-based levels that involve using the fire as a makeshift projectile of sorts. The earthquake-creating one could star in levels with lots of flying enemies and puzzles based on pounding the ground, etc. And the flying one would have levels specifically designed around flight. Through the game's tutorials, you'd learn to play as each of these Yoshis.

But the game will get really interesting once you get to the meat of it: once the three Yoshis meet up somewhere on the island, they'll form a small group and will always try to stick together as an inseparable team. At this point, you'd be able to conveniently switch back and forth between the three. If you're playing alone, an AI could take over the other two, but if your friend has a 3DS and the game, he'd be able to join and take control of one or two Yoshis as well. There would be (bonus, probably) levels specially designed to be unbeatable without team coordination.

I think it's quite a promising idea, actually. If anyone decides to use it - Nintendo, that means you, too - please give proper credit where it's due. ;)

17. hodgem08

thats sound awosome!!

18. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Wow, that's really good, Feld0! How are you so good at composing and writing (and all the other things!)? This isn't exactly on-topic, but how did you get that picture in your signature? Are images enabled in signatures now?

EDIT: I just checked; they aren't.

19. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    huh... that sounds like a really good plot! Sounds kinda like Super Princess Peach though...

20. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

It sounds like a game I've played before, I can't remember what, though. . . . (not Super Princess Peach)

21. Feld0

How I'm good at a whole ton of stuff? I have no idea myself, but there's a little check beside the word "Gifted" on all of my report cards. Maybe it means something.

As for sig images, they're enabled for me. Staff privileges, I guess. :p

You say this sounds like a game you've played before? Weird. I thought I made up something fairly original. :confused: You happen to have remembered what game it was?

22. Thorhian

Watt

63%
    Well, all I know is that they might have to drop the dual screen aspect of the game from the ds version, since only one screen is 3d and they two different resolutions and sizes.

23. Ahytys

I think they might still use it somehow... they'll come up with something

24. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

I don't think it was like something that I actually played, moreso something that sounded so professional that I thought it was real!

25. Thorhian

Watt

63%
    Yeah, but you wouldn't have the 3D affect in the entire game, plus, to switch to two different screens of different resolutions would be weird. But, Two different resolutions? That would be almost impossible to switch between two resolutions that quickly for effective game play

26. Ahytys

There's no need to switch between resolutions... each screen keeps its own resolution, plus the two displays are probably controlled each with its own driver, so it would be just like two different videos playing at the same time

27. Thorhian

Watt

63%
    Huhh, Ahytys, that is a good idea, but you would still have a really hard time, props on the developer team who does that. You still wouldn't get the 3d effect on the bottom screen though, which is a big downside to the whole thing.

28. Feld0

Really? I'm flattered. :) I've always dreamed of being Miyamoto's successor, y'know, but I always wondered if I really had what it takes. Maybe I do.

I'd rather have the gameplay constrained to a single screen but in glorious 3D. I mean, it's the world-famous Yoshi art style, for crying out loud. 3D will really give it a chance to shine. I honestly won't mind if they choose not to use the bottom screen at all.

29. Ahytys

Yeah the lower screen no being 3D it's the only problem.... we'll see what they'll come up with.

30. xemnas

id love for it to be on the 3ds hopefully its like mario galaxy an absolute must have game