1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest!
    Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop? Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!
Hello Guest!
Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop?
Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!

Will the 3DS be an inspiration, or one of a kind?

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Zaros, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Zaros

So we all know how groundbreaking the Nintendo 3DS is. It allows the user to see 3D without the use of glasses; which is, frankly, amazing.
    However, I've been thinking. Could this technology possibly be an inspiration?
    I could see Apple releasing an iPad or an iPhone (yes, there apparently is a 3D phone) with glasses free 3D sometime soon. (iPhone 6 or iPad 3?)
    It's inevitable though; the 3DS will be cheap and offer various cool things, and to be honest I'd love to sit in my room watching 3D films on my DS.
    Also, could this be the end of the Wii? I mean, we all are betting the 3DS won't exceed the Wii's price, but when this does come out, seeing as it'll be appealing to all ages, small, fun to use and offering so many features, it could just outdo the Wii.
    I'm really looking forward to this; 2010 is the start of a new decade which will bring many new technologies.

P.S. Forgive any grammatical errors, I typed this up with a fractured collarbone :p

Edit: Something to discuss:
    Nintendo 3DS - Blue
    £399.99 new - MyMemory
    Nintendo 3DS - Red
    £399.99 new - MyMemory <-- found on Google, it's a pre-order or something? Surely it can't be that expensive!
    Also, on Google shopping there's prices ranging from £190 (most plausible) to £980. Seeing as it's google however, this has a very high chance of being false.

2. Qaiz

Well Nintendo didn't invent the Parallax Barrier technologies so others will and HAVE started to use the tech.

Toshiba, for example, are releasing a TV that uses the same tech.

Sharps are also bringing out a 3D glassless phone as well as many others. Sharps already brought out a phone with the tech, but only in japan.

The 2010 Range rover also uses the tech, so the person on the passenger side can see a movie while the driver can see the GPS on the same screen.

Nintendo will most defiantly not the only company that will use the tech, but it will be one of the first to be highly recognized and well received.

I'm not even bothered about the 3D tbh as much as I love the graphics and franchisees on the thing, 3D will be used every now and again when I'm bored.

3. Zaros

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that. But nearly every tech person is aware of the 3DS. I mean, if Nintendo sell 10m units quickly, surely apple will copy or form some kind of alliance with them. Could you imagine Pokemon on iPad? :p

4. Qaiz

Apple wouldn't form an alliance tbh, thats what makes them loved by people, its their attitude and closed atmosphere. They love being on their own and tbh the Apple team is probably small and a bit like a family.

Seeing Pokemon on a iPad would be like having Halo on the PS3.

As for Apple copying Nintendo, its not really copying since Nintendo don't own the technology or even own it or pioneer it.

3D iPhone would be okay, but not that great as a 3DS.

Wishful thinking tho...

5. Zaros

It'll happen; Apple brought the retina display, and they always jump at new technological things. In my opinion, an apple 3D product will be interesting. But I'd stick with my 3DS. If it has Skype, no need for a phone.

6. GYNGA

I saw that Range Rover. That really looks cool :)

On-topic: Well in my opinion glasses-less 3D will get popular as touch-screens in next 5-7.

3DS as an inspiration of 3D? Maybe. If it's really so amazing in reality then why not? If people like it then manufacturers will use it to attract clients to them. As Sharp already doing.

7. Qaiz

I don't think you understood what I said.

I said Apple will have a 3D phone soon but its not copying Nintendo because Nintendo didn't invent 3D so how could it be copying if Nintendo never invented 3D screens without the need for glasses?

In a matter of fact, Nintendo copied the Range Rover and the Sharps phone (forgot the name) if thats the case.

Nintendo aren't the first to do this.

An I also said I have no desire for a 3D Phone

8. Zaros

I didn't say apple were copying Nintendo; I said they're probably going to follow the awesome 3D trend ;)

9. Dannyboy

Don't worry about the wii as with all of Nintendos home consoles you play them for a whuile thinking they are the greatest things ever then Nintendo surprise us with something new and better also Nintendo said they are working on a Wii 2 but they won't reveal any more so that the idea can't be stolen so it must be a brilliant idea then. Here is a website link to it ?ii 2 in production, confirms Nintendo | Games Industry | MCV

10. Zaros

That's great news. I reckon it'll be a helmet or virtual reality..

11. GYNGA

Wii 2? Interesting. I'm looking forward to see what new Nintendo will show this time. Despite 3D and motion controls.

12. DeadEye

Hopefully the 3DS will be an inspiration. It's a fine looking piece of hardware, from what we've seen. I imagine in a few years thought that glasses free 3D will become a standard. By that time of course the 3DS's successor will arrive and Nintendo will inspire once again. And so the cycle continues.

13. Roy

Roy

Yes I can imagine pokemon on ipad. It would suck.

14. Qaiz

That made me Lol :D

15. Zaros

Hmm... maybe so. But if we can get something like a Global Link app (Pokemon Black and White) then.. xD
    I really can't imagine what Nintendo will pull of next..
    Or sony - With the PSP2 on the way, who wants to bet it'll have a 3D Screen? ¬¬

16. GYNGA

You think PSP2 will have 3D screen? Then I want to bet :D I think it will not have it.

17. Zaros

Hopefully not, but remember glasses free 3D will be nearly everywhere soon...

18. Qaiz

It will be everywhere. TV's are bringing the tech, Phones, Cameras and much more

19. Supper

It seems as if glasses free 3D tech in the making has been widely publicized since the unveiling of the 3DS, despite the fact that Nintendo didn't discover it. In response to the topic, I think the 3DS will be an inspiration for the onslaught of glasses-free tech coming to stores.

20. Qaiz

a glasses free phone has been out for a year or so now, its just that Nintendo is more well known and E3 is really hyped up.

Glasses Free tech has been used before the 3DS, but this is the first glassfree 3D 'gaming' device.

21. Supper

Nintendo is like Apple in the fact that it brings used features to the mass market.

22. Qaiz

Well not really.

Nintendo is more of a pioneer. No one else brought motion controls before the Wii (except the eyetoy I suppose), or Boom-Boomogue sticks before the N64 or even a Rumble feature before the N64. The NES also invented modern day Game console controller

23. Supper

Ah, I didn't know that! They are great pioneers at that, then!

24. Qaiz

Yup they have brought out a lot of new technology, but mainly at a low budget so it costs cheaper for the public and they get more profits