1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Pokemon Black and White for 3DS

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Mike-Fisher, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Mike-Fisher

Is Pokemon Black and White going to be better or the same as the DS version?

2. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Hi Checkers. Thanks very much for starting the first new thread.

I don't think Pokemon Black & White will be released on 3DS but you'll still be able to play it on there because the 3DS is compatible with DS games. I think we actually have an article going up soon about the backwards compatibility of the 3DS.

3. Mike-Fisher

No problem. That's a shame. I was hoping for a 3D version with improved graphics. Good luck with the forums.

4. jl32194

Pokemon Black and White has some 3DS/DSi exclusive features.

5. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Yeah that's true. Some video chatting options I think.

6. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Haha, B&W. I wrote a massive article about it a few weeks ago. Check it out!

The games will not have any 3DS-specific features (or at least any we know of) besides video chatting, as Adam said. This will also be available on the DSi and DSi XL, though, so it's not exactly anything 3DS-exclusive.

Yes, I'm working on that. It should be up within the next two days.

7. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can expect with DS games on 3DS. I won't if there will be any kind of improvement like up-scaled visuals.

8. ThatDamnPinoy

I have a funny feeling that Ninty will make it for the DS but when u put it into a 3ds the player will be able to access some special content like unlocking a new area *GASP* or maybe be able to unlock some special pokemon!! 8D

9. kallumsmarties

i thought pokemon black and white isnt 3ds it shows its going be for the ds but tbh i still want it anyway they say this is going be like red and blue u can only get the pokemon from the new place and cant get any old ones until u beaten the game which sounds pretty good cause they want u have the same feelings as u did with red and blue

10. kallumsmarties

yeah u so should :D some of them show on wikipedia the differences in the lite dsi and 3ds they havent done all of them yet but i just cant wait :p

11. sixasax

I don'think so It's ll be the New pokemon title on 3ds.

12. Qaiz

We'l see a proper 3DS Pokemon Game soon and it will be great!

But this will work on the 3DS as well as DS.

13. Feld0

Every pair of Pokemon games (with the exception of one, I believe) gets a third version at some point that adds a few extra features to the existing pair, before making way to a pair of remakes. The third version of Black & White (what're they gonna call it, Gray? :p) will probably be a full-on 3DS production, complete with awesome graphics and all. In any case, there will be a true 3DS Pokemon game at some point for sure.

With B&W, I'm hoping that they're at least gonna run in the 3DS's higher resolution, even if they don't do anything else 3DS-specific.

14. Qaiz

Yh! I don't want it to be letter-boxed, I want it to look crisp and big on that 3.53 Inch screen.

But then again I'm sure it would work on a DSi XL full screen, so the 3DS should be fine?

15. Feld0

There's a difference between bigger screens and higher resolutions. The DSi XL has the same 256x192 resolution as the smaller DSi, Lite, and Phat; every pixel is simply made bigger to accommodate the larger screen sizes. Some people claim it's not a problem, but I saw a DSi XL in person and can assure you that the picture, while undistorted and crisp, is noticeably more pixelated than the DSi's.

The 3DS's screens are comparable to the Lite's in size, but the resolutions are (effectively, and in 2D mode) 400x240 for the top screen and 320x240 on the touchscreen. I'm pretty sure that DS games will be pillarboxed on the top screen, since its aspect ratio is wider than what DS games will be outputting. But the bigger issue is how the games will be scaled to fit the higher resolution.

Nintendo has two options: one is to not scale the games, and have them appear 1:1 on the 3DS's screens. The picture's gonna be sharp and clean, but there will be a very unpleasant windowboxing effect, as it won't fill up the whole screen. The other option is to scale the images up to the higher resolution to fill the 3DS's screens, which probably won't happen too cleanly seeing as the resolution cannot simply be doubled. That's why I hope they're gonna make the Pokemon games simply run at 320x240 when played on a 3DS, to avoid potential problems with scaling the picture.

Ugh...I hope I'm not confusing anyone. I'm gonna address this issue in detail in my next feature, and am gonna have pics to help explain it.

16. Qaiz

Its not confusing at all

BUT what about games on consoles that can be scaled up and down depending on the TV?

Couldn't the 3DS do that since its the hardware scaling the game from 1080p/i/720p etc

17. Feld0

The game has to be specifically designed to run at different resolutions. Not all console games support all resolutions. DS games are designed to run only at 256x192; the 3DS hardware can't do much to force the game to run at 320x240 if it wasn't programmed with that in mind. On the other hand, emulators on the PC seem to be able to do it rather well, at least in 3D games.

18. Qaiz

Well I'm sure this game is not really made to suit the 3DS, but like you said, there will be a 3DS enhanced version soon

19. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    I heard they'll be some improvements. I'm especially excited for the video chat though.

20. Qaiz

Yup, the game looks great.
    [video=youtube;OpsKq_dJ57s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpsKq_dJ57s[/video]

21. Leomon

Leomon INACTIVE

I just got a grazy idea, what about if the next Nintendo's console is included in Pokemon Black and White? There's been a new console in the players room in every gen.

22. Zaros

First: No.
    Second; There may be a possibilty Pokemon Gray (3rd version) is 3DS exclusive, that's why I'm waiting :D

23. jl32194

In Pokemon Black and White they have a feature where the Wi-Fi, Wireless communications, and the IR are always on and looking for another person playing the game, sort of like tag mode.

24. Qaiz

I'm buying Black and white and then I'l buy a 3DS enhanced version if it comes out.

25. jl32194

Pokemon White is great.

26. Qaiz

Have you played it?
    Thats cool! :D

I hope to get it soon!

Saving my money for the 3DS for now :p

27. jl32194

I've played it, but I can't read Japanese, so it is very confusing at times. It is very fun, though.