1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

The PlayStation Phone

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Qaiz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Qaiz

[​IMG]

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!

2. will

i know you are looking forward to this but if they are marketing it as a phone its going to get obliterated by iphone and i dont think its got any chance of beating the 3ds as a games console.

3. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Plus, what if it's a hoax? It looks cool, and if it's cheaper than the iPhone, then I might buy it (assuming it's real)!

4. chris

It looks really good but it will cost a lot

5. JK Smash

I never heard of that but do you know the price.

6. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    If it is a hoax, it's a very good one. There's lots of pictures of it and you would expect a hoaxer to put "PlayStation" on it somewhere.

I expect it'll be very expensive as smart phones tend to be. Maybe £800 (or "free" on a £40 per month mobile contract), still cheaper than an iPhone. It's basically an Android phone which can play PSP games I imagine. I might get one as my next phone upgrade, but by the time my contract is up, the PSPhone2 could be out.

7. chris

I cant really see it as a VERY sugsessful phone because of its price. But people will buy it. Its like the ipad. It was €900 when it was released so not that many people had it

8. Supper

I probably won't be buying it, but if a REAL PSP2 is coming out, then I will consider that.

9. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I'd say it will cost about the same as most other smartphones. People will pay for very expensive things when they have the option to pay for it monthly over 2 years and they're told it's "free" with a phone contract.

10. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    i think it's one of the ugliest phones ive ever seen!!!! I will NOT get this that touch pad is retarded dont they already have touch SCREEN? also i know why are people calling it a playstation phone? I know it has the stupid shape buttons and the arrow buttons but it is still just a sony phone.And on the button madder i think those are stupid too!!! I wouls rather have a keyboard!! Enough said!

11. chris

But it might not come to all networks. Id say it will be unlocked and sold straight away. And not that much networks will sell it. There is only 4 main networks in ireland and id say if it came out it will only come to one of them

12. GYNGA

Hmmm... I was skeptical when I first saw it, but now I think I like it. It will run Android, so it will get all Android games and plus it will have its own PS games. I'm not a fan of Sony Ericsson phones, but if price will be under Э500 I think it will be good choice of buying smartphone + PSP apart.

13. Bartman2

im actually wondering what network itll be on because it seems like it will be on sprint or AT&T

btw how many american dollars is 300 pounds or whatever those are

14. Homer Fanboy

93%
    i think its euros

15. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

On Google, if you run "X (enter currency here) to USD," and search it, it will show what it is in American dollars. So, for example, I put "300 pounds to USD" and it showed $483.

16. GYNGA

"According to a reliable tipster, the PSP phone may be dropping (or at least getting its announcement) on December 9, before CES but in time for the holidays. The invitation, shown here, mentions Pierre Perron, DG of Sony Ericsson France"

[​IMG]

Source: PSP2Rumors

So it is coming very soon. I red somewhere that it will cost around $500 so if it's true then it is quite fair price for a new powerful smartphone with HD screen(probably) and Android OS. And still it is twice cheaper than iPhone 4.

17. GYNGA

Here it is a "New details about PS Phone"(where I found info about $500 price):

-The display is "mind-blowing" and on-par (to the naked eye) with the iPhone 4's Retina Display. Sony has introduced some Bravia technology into it and leverages on the brand when highlighting the display
    -Won't ship in time for the holidays and might be aiming for February
    -Off-contract price to be around $500 with 5 free games included
    -Games to be priced around mobile gaming prices, such as sub-$10, unlike the higher price for PSP games
    -The Z-System name is still being thrown around, and while specific details on it aren't available, it has been used to describe both the gaming platform and the distribution center

Source: Uberhizmo - PSPhone Details

18. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Nice details, GYNGA! I wonder if there will be a point where consoles are so good they can't think of what to develop for them. Actually, the iPhone 4 does NOT have a retina display when holding it an average distance from your eyes. I wonder if it's just boasting, like Apple. So, the PSPP (PSP Phone) is coming out sometime before February (February at the latest) and will be around $500? That's expensive for a phone (and the reason why I don't really like buying Sony and Apple products)!

19. Bartman2

all right.......
    1. it looks like a cross between LG Ally, PSPGo, and Sony Erricson. this could be completely fake.
    2. this could be photoshopped, event though the article said it was real.

I am a nonbeliever.

20. Homer Fanboy

93%
    It is ugly, looks cheap, like bartman said it looks like a bunch of phones had a baby and this is what came out. although I hate to say it.... it IS real...

some of these new phones make me want to """""barf all over my monitor""""

21. GYNGA

There have leaked video of the PS Phone, which probably will not have PlayStation brand in its name and might be called Sony Ericsson Z1. In this video there's not showed buttons pad, but in my opinion it's not fake. It looks like Xperia X10 but it is bigger and has really big screen which should be 4'' or even more.

But now when I'm writing this article, an idea came to my mind that it is might be SE Xperia X12 which is also rumored :confused:

You can take a look at it here - PSPhone video?

22. GYNGA

Look at this
    It is Sony Ericsson Xperia X12. It is quite similar to the device in the vid

23. Homer Fanboy

93%
    hmph. . . . . . . . . . . . .

24. GYNGA

Another video leaked O_O I think there is no doubts anymore that this is real PSPhone.
    [video=youtube;O6cxaVRs60w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6cxaVRs60w[/video]

25. Homer Fanboy

93%
    I didn't relise how thick it is!

26. GYNGA

Agree it is fat. But did you expected to be it slim? It has slide buttons pad and strong hardware. And this is Sony Ericsson. They don't make phones with amazing appearance like HTC or iPhone. For example Xperia X10 thickness is 13mm so PSPhone will be 20mm or more. Also in the future slim model might be released, like PSP had Fat model, later Slim&Lite was released. And I don't think that the thickness is the biggest problem.

27. Homer Fanboy

93%
    yeah, i guess you are right but it just seems so odd. Phones aren't suspose to have buttons like that! I guess it is just to not-a-phone for me! XD

28. firthaa01

i do not care for sony anymore....no matter what Nintendo have it figured out

29. GYNGA

New specs and photos here
    In this version it is not thick at all. And in my opinion it is nice designed phone.

30. Homer Fanboy

93%
    That does look good, but I just can't get used to the weird buttons.