1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest!
    Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop? Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!
Hello Guest!
Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop?
Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!

Target shooting (augmented reality)

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Dannyboy, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Dannyboy

OK so it has been announced that the 3ds is capible of making augmented reality in the form of target shooting.So the 3ds will come with 6 cards for this but will there be any more or new ones that you buy or maybe for different games. Chat about that and anythig else to do with augmented reality :)

2. chris

What is augmented reality? And what are these cards for??

3. Supper

Augmented Reality is putting computerized images into real life. The cards are used to display Augmented Reality. When you look at the cards through the 3DS' camera, the card's contents will appear to be there in real life through the camera, but it is not. I'm excited to see what they are, but I'm worried that it will just be a gimmick and they won't produce more elaborate cards from the 6 included with the 3DS.

4. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

The way they've stated that "six of these cards will be included with the 3DS" makes me think otherwise. Including a card with every 3DS game would be a great way to force OCD-ish collectors like me to "collect them all." (read: buy every single game on the shelf, and then some)

5. Supper

Everybody won't get the same six AR cards? If so, that's cool!

6. chris

What are these cards like

7. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

They're just a little card with a picture on them. The 3DS knows what they look like and can make stuff appear out of them on-screen. We have a little article about how it works here.

8. Supper

Wait, I know I'm quoting myself, but did Nintendo ever hint at that?

9. Qaiz

I'm afraid many people will simply throw the cards away without knowing what they do, or rip them by accident.

Also, other games that use AR should come with there own cards for that individual game.

10. Supper

^That would be cool if they do that, and I don't know many people who throw away accessories, much less minigame cards. We aren't THAT dumb!

11. Qaiz

Erm, we are gamers. Of course we scoff at things like that. We think we know it all. What about the usual parent who buys the console due to it being the "must have toy"

They see some cards. what do they think? They don't know what the hell augmented reality is. Its like game controllers. They look easy to use because we used them since we were young, but many adults get intimidated by them, thus why Nintendo made the Wii Mote

Cards get damaged, they rip, they bend. they get lost, its just card.

12. Supper

^Good point, but couldn't the same be said about game cartridges and UMDs?

13. Qaiz

You know what a UMD is and a cart is, its a piece of technology. Its delicate and its just like a CD. Everyone knows what CD's are. Plus you cant accidentally rip a cart in half, and you need a lot of pressure to crack a disk.

A paper can be ripped by accident.

Imagine you leave your 3DS on the table. You baby/sibling,family member rips the paper card, thinking its just paper.

You get what I mean

14. Supper

Now I know what you mean. Nintendo will probably include an instruction pamphlet about the AR cards with it, and if the parents read it, they'll make sure to keep the AR cards safe.

15. Qaiz

Yh, but I still have concerns. I mean the 3DS will last around 6 years until the next successor is released, so do you really think the cards would be preserved for 8 years?

Maybe, I don't know, sounds like a tedious task lol

16. Supper

Maybe Club Nintendo will release AR/Cartridge holders when the 3DS comes out.

17. Qaiz

Yh that would actually be kinda nifty.

18. Dan Jayden

Yeah... because my family goes around randomly ripping paper.

19. Qaiz

Don't come in here with attitude my friend, if you want to say something, say something thats contributing to the community.

I didn't know your family is the the same as everyone else's...

I'm talking about siblings i.e. babies and children

20. Dan Jayden

I just don't think siblings ripping cards for the heck of it is very common. Besides, if you have siblings like that, you should just not leave cards that you treasure out.

21. Supper

The point is that the AR cards will be fragile and will probably need to be handled with care.

22. Qaiz

Yh exactly

23. Dannyboy

OK so does anyone think extras will come included or just the 6 but an augmented reality poemon games would be awsome :)

24. KaKa

It probably doesn't matter if they come bundled with games, people will probably scan them and share them on forums like this one. Unless Nintendo comes up with a way to prevent that happening.

25. Qaiz

Your acting like its illegal tho? It comes free with the 3DS, and if it comes with games, then you would get them, so printing them or whatever is no different, plus I bet it has to be a exact size.

26. KaKa

That's not my point. Im just saying that people that collect them will probably just print them (I know I will), not buy games in order to collect them all.

27. Qaiz

Oh I see.

But them again, its still not the same. Its like having an illegal game

You can have 100 illegal games, but if you buy a single game, it would be a 10x better experience.

People who collect things like them genuine. Its like buying a game legitimately vs downloading it. Its not the same.

28. KaKa

Having a genuine item is of course a better experience, but I can't afford buying games for 500 NOK (about $100) just to get some cards to play with, especially if I've got the option to print the same card for free.

29. Qaiz

But you would still need the game that partners the cards, would you not?

30. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    I think the cards will be cardboard-like. You know, the material that Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards are made out of.