1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

SD Card size!

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Fifth_Muskateer, Oct 17, 2010.

?

The more the merry-er! Just the way I like it! Or Why god Why?!

1. 32GB SD card size capacity equivalent to the DSI

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. 2TB SD card size capacity which is just ridiculous!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. less than 32GB SD card capacity, something like 2GB!

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Fifth_Muskateer

What does everyone think of the size capacity for using an SD card on the 3DS?! Do you think it will be the same as the dsi with the 32gb capacity or will you be able to use the new Two Terabyte SD Cards which is now available? :confused: This could produce piracy if they did have anything that big, they could even make the SD card size capacity even smaller! 2Gb max! Not good....

2. Supper

I think that it will only support SDHC cards (32GB) in the beginning, but an update will expand that size to SDXC cards (2TB). Which option would that fit in?

3. Qaiz

WTF! what do you mean by 'Only' support SDHC, SDHC is the best you will get on a consumer device for a VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME.

There is no way in hell the 3DS will support 2TB cards lmfao. The iPhone doesn't even take SD cards and devices that do accept expandable memory only go up to 32GB. Why would you even need 2TB, that would bottleneck the 3DS to infinity. It would take like 30 Mins just to turn on and scan all your data from boot up.

it will never support anything over 32GB, 64GB the maximum at the most, but even thats pushing it.

You guys are asking for way too much. A SanDisk 64GB Ultra SDXC card costs you around $350, so yeah...lol

4. Dannyboy

yeah I would say they will try to get the data to slightly more than the DSi as the 3d effect may take up more memory and depending on how they ditribute their movies possibly movies as well :)

5. Qaiz

DVD movies on a full TV screen is around 2GB, so on a 3.53 Inch display at a lower resolution, it could easily fit on a 32GB plus the iPod Touch is a much more music/movie centric device that has 32Gb and 64GB variants, and the iPod Classic goes up to 160GB, so why would you need 2TB? Most PC's don't even have or need 2TB and an top of that, the iPod's blow the 3DS or any other device out of the water when it comes to music and movies.

6. chris

As this saying goes 'the bigger the better'

7. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

I think he means "only" by comparing 2TB (a LOT!) to 32GB (1/64 of 2TB), and a NEW SanDisk 64GB SDXC card costs $350, whereas you could get one used for $190 online. Some people might want 2TB SDXC cards to be compatible with the 3DS for some unexplainable reason, but they would still have a reason (they might even want it because they compose music and put it on there :confused:)! Yeah, some people may just be asking too much, but others might have a good reason (highly unlikely, but still. . . .)! I personally don't think they should put an SDXC card compatibility update for it if they have to work hard, since hardly anyone would need it that much, but that's just my opinion.

8. Qaiz

Good points, but if someone wanted to compose music, the 3DS would be the last thing they would resort to. Most musicians and film makers use Macbooks for thats soft of stuff, and they don't even come in 2TB capacities.

I understand that SOME people may need it, but why would it be on the 3DS and why would Nintendo try to cater to such a niche market which would waste time and resources, because it does cost to add such functionality to a device.

I understand that just because I don't need it, doesn't mean other don't need it. Everyone is different. BUT why would the 3DS be this device that caters to such people? This is a game device, if anything, an iPhone or a Macbook would be more beneficial from this kind of technology.
    [​IMG]

The largest SATA drive has just been released. 3TB at $240, but even then people are debating why on earth you would need it?

The more memory something has, the slower it will be. I imagine the 3DS would slow down with a 16GB SD like most portable devices, so 2TB in theory would bottleneck the device.

32GB is massive! You can put tons of movies, music, images and games on that, and most 3DS users will not even use the original 2GB card to its fullest capacity. I might seem nieve when I say this, but a lot of people whom buy the 3DS will not even use it much. Many people will buy it due to the hype and the fact it is 3D without glasses in your pocket.

Thats not a bad thing, but its like how the Wii has no HDD even-though the original Xbox did, its aimed at a demographic that is more family oriented.

I'm not saying its kiddish, I'm saying its made to be picked up and played by everyone.

9. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Yeah, I have a 2GB SDHC card, and I barely used all of it up even with all my favorite songs on it (once I heard a song I liked, I would download it off the Internet and put it on the card)! 3TB?! Wow, that's a lot for that little drive! o_O

10. Qaiz

3TB is a lot, but you much rather have 2x 2TB drives at a faster speed then a slow 3TB

11. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

I agree, except it would be more expensive, usually, unless you get two poor condition ones.

12. Supper

Sorry, I thought that the 3DS would have an update like the Wii! :eek:

13. HunteronX

I found some proof that 32GB cards will work, here:

Iwata Asks: Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo

"Iwata: It comes with a 2-gigabyte card, but you can, for example, use a 32-gigabyte one as well."

14. Ultra Kart Racer IV

Ultra Kart Racer IV *flashes badge*
    Merlee

How much storage space does the 3DS need?
    I the down-loadable games will take up a lot of room.
    Save-data for games isn't much.
    On my DSi XL, I've copied all my DSi Ware (five games) and saved over 200 photos to a single 2GB SD card and it still has plenty of room.

15. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

It depends on how much games you have; save files are tiny, so unless you have tons of games (as in thousands), or you download tons of games on the eShop, you won't need much space.

16. cloud8521

2 terabytes. because im ridiculous

17. Wertville

I got a 500 GB external hard drive in October 2009, and I'm a person who doesn't delete much and downloads TONS. It's only about half-full, and the majority of it comes from when I had it early on.

I doubt I'm going to be storing much on the 3DS, so the 2GB one it comes with will suit me for... Well... Ever. I mean, I've had an 8GB Ipod touch for 3-4 years now, and I have never purchased a single game on it, nor have I needed more than 8GB. Seeing as I won't use 3Ds for my music, and I'll only be buying a few VC games that I deem 'Awesome' and/or 'Classic,' I doubt any more memory will be necessary.

So a 32 GB is fine for people who do buy a lot of VC and eStore games, but for most people the 2GB won't even be used up for the first year or two. If it's ever used up, that is :p

18. Letat

Why in the world do i need that much space on a portable gaming device, unless your some sort of gaming fanatic i cant see the average person needing more that 60G of space.

A Terabyte is just too much, way too much for this particular time. Like seriously think about it.
    Not to mention thats expensive, i wouldn't buy something that costed that much when i could just buy 2 32G cards and still save a ton.

19. cloud8521

like i said im ridiculous. i bought a sata 3.0 HD, mobo and ad did the same with USb3 all at the first chance i could