1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest!
    Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop? Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!
Hello Guest!
Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop?
Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!

Region locking.

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Roy, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Roy

Roy

Do you think the 3ds will be region locked. Personally I say nay, as the Ds doesn't have it and I expect the 3ds to do the same.

2. Qaiz

interesting topic as I was talking about this on may other forums :D

I found this patent last year.
    [​IMG]

Also, before you say that the 3DS cards above doesn't look like the one that was shown at E3, you have to realize that these cards look different, the image was posted WAY before E3 and could either be the Japanese version or simply a prototype. If you know the history of Nintendo cartridges then you know that they locked out carts from being played in different regions by how they shaped and added plastic notches to the carts themselves so they wouldn't "fit" into out of region systems.

Holographic carts anyone?

3. GYNGA

What's the point of region locking?

4. Roy

Roy

That hologram cart sounds cool.
    Basicly region locking exists for. Well actually I don't know.

5. chris

What is region locking?

6. brian6330

Parakarry

I had region locking from my Pokemon Ruby(european) to my DS Heart gold(North American).
    To be Honest, I would HATE it if the 3DS has region locking, because where I am I have North American games, but when family comes or I go to Switzerland(is in Europe) then I usually get 1 or 2 games, so that is why it would suck for me.

7. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

I don't really get the point of region locking myself, either. They say it's to prevent people in other territories from getting a game/movie (DVDs and Blu-rays are region-locked, too) before they're "supposed" to. I never understood the whole point of delaying a game's or movie's release only for certain parts of the world.

I hope the 3DS doesn't have region locking, but sadly, I don't think that will be the case. DSiWare was region-locked; the only reason the DSi could still play DS games from everywhere in the world, if you asked me, was because region locking was never implemented in those in the first place.

Off-topic: Brian, I just got back from Switzerland and couldn't believe the prices of games there (most Wii games, for example, are around the $100 mark). You honestly buy your video games from there when you've got the choice to get them from elsewhere?

8. zeldaboy10

Maybe, but they'll soon create a freeloader cartridge

9. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    So it's really just to help build hype for official releases. Only Nintendo and places that sell the games want region locking.

10. Axis

I think its so that If ppl Wanted to buy games from say..Some foreign country where the games are cheaper,They couldn't,
    For if they have a US console,They had to buy the expensive US games.
    Am not really sure if thats the case,But it seem like a Reason, no?

11. brian6330

Parakarry

@Feld0: Here where I live the games around $120 and the old DS is still about $250 US

Another reason that I could think that they would have region locking, is because if they have any special design, look, or anything.
    For example: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, America gets the normal version and Europe gets a special version.

12. Qaiz

True, plus it is used due to licensing of right's for each country. Every country generally use their own copyright law's, ratings policy etc. so region locking can help keep everything simple, and studio's can tie up distributor's to only distribute in certain region's. A quirky example of this is Sqare-Enix had no distributor outside of Japan after it's merger, so FFX was actually distributed under EA in US n EU. Also Winning Eleven is sold as Pro Evolution Soccer in UK(even though Soccer is a US word)
    Localization is also another reason. You don't need a game/movie with subtitles in all 250+ languages in the world on, just 5 different region disc's with maybe 20 or so on each.

Localization also mean's you can have a game that's culturally acceptable/in the right language. An example of this is Fallout 3 was released later on in Japan as the refrecne to mini-nukes and the nuking of Megaton was removed, due to the nuking of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.

A new advantage is online content can be region locked, so some countries can get specific demos, or specific DLC, like Japan will get alot more JRPG's than that appear on US/EU download's, and vice versa for shooters. Hence the habit of people having multiple accounts on 360 and PS3.

Region locking isn't required, PS3 games are region free, and many indie developer's who tend to have simple method's of distribution won't include it either ( it limit's their audience)

Alos without region-locking, a single pirate in the world would be able to supply the world with illegal copies. With region-locking, you limit the damage a single pirate can do to a single region (except for people willing to pay for a modchip, which risks destroying their system).

Also, it has a benefit to small publishers, who can afford the rights to a game in one region, but wouldn't be able to afford the rights to the game for the entire world. This would make it exceedingly difficult for small publishers like Atlus to start-up and grow, and pretty much all games would have to be aimed at a global audience (so no more quirky Japanese comedy games like Disgaea).

13. GYNGA

If PS3 is region free, then I hope 3DS will also be similar. For developers and publishers it's easier with region lock but for the device owners it might make problems.

14. Qaiz

Didn't you read what I wrote? Region Locking is done for a reason

15. GYNGA

I red what you wrote :D And now I know that region-locking is for a reason. I'm just saying that it might make problems for a 3DS owners, so I really hope that 3DS will not have region-locking :)

16. Qaiz

Yes it wouldmost definitely be a hassle and would upset me since I love Japanese imports, but Nintendo are wanting to cut down on piracy and this may be one thing they have to do.

17. Roy

Roy

Just a question, do you reckon if games aren't region locked then movies (if it has them) will be?

18. chris

Dvd are region locked. So it might be. I would like to be able to buy them like the same way as psp videos. Also 3d sound will be really good

19. Qaiz

Yes they will definitely region lock movies, like I said there is no point making a movie with every single subtitle when you can region lock the movies and release movies to the region of choice.

Plus movies are released at different times in different places.

Also keep in mind many movies don't even get released in other places i.e: A Japanese movie might just be released in Japan.

20. Roy

Roy

120 bucks for a game, that's insane.

21. Qaiz

More than insane, its day light robbery.

22. brian6330

Parakarry

Well it IS what I have to cope with so I really hope that they won't have any region locking on the 3DS because that would drive me insane, crazy, delusional and probably with less money...

23. chris

Did they announce that the 3ds will be region locked?

24. Supper

No, I don't think they have specified that.

25. Qaiz

They never say it in conferences, its just something your given.

If its region locked, you will have to buy it to find out.

26. Supper

That means we can't find out until February 26th.

27. chris

Is there a date when nintendo will announce info on the 3ds in americ/eu

28. Qaiz

We don't really know, just wait and see.

29. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

That would be so cool! I don't see any advantages to region locking, but I see plenty of disadvantages! In case anyone is wondering, the Japanese doesn't say anything important; the second picture says "Nintendo DS Cartridge" and the third says "3DS Cartridge (holographic storage)". Why would it say "holographic storage", though?

On topic: like everyone is saying, I don't really see a point to region locking, either!

30. Qaiz

Each region will have there own propitiatory hologram so the 3DS will be able to recognize what region its from if I'm correct.