1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

PSP2 Rumored To Be More Powerful Then The Xbox 360

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Qaiz, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Qaiz

The PlayStation Portable 2 has been long rumored ever since the PSP came to the world back in 2005, what will Sony do next? How powerful will the console be? These are many of the questions people ask themselves when they think of the sequel to the handheld that has sold 60.6 Million worldwide to this date. That’s 30.9% of the hardware sales this generation.

Well the PSP2 has been rumored to have dual Boom-Boomog sticks, nice the original PSP should have had this from the beginning. Among other rumors are a bigger screen and touch controls, but get this, it’s considered to have hardware that to rival the Xbox 360 in processing power and ditch the UMD format all together.

[​IMG]

Bye Bye UMD, you wont be missed. ​

Earlier this week multiple sources detailed meetings with Sony during the Tokyo Game Show about the long-rumored PSP2 handheld.

These meetings about the long awaited portable, among other things, was Sony showing off the handheld. The device was shown to have a touch panel on the back of the system, similar to that of a mouse trackpad. Too bad it isn't a Magic Trackpad huh? Ahem...

The PSP2 also had dual Boom-Boomog sticks and a larger display which Sony touted as being "HD." Of course I believe that it is not your conventional HD, but just a Retina esque styled screen. In other words, it’s just REALLY high quality. A HD screen on a portable is just not feasible and would be a waste.

The PSP2 was shown in two very different form factors. One being a slide-out design just likes the PSP Go and the PlayStation Phone that was revealed not too long ago. The other form factor is just like the PSP of today; Sony also announced to its attendees that they have not yet settled on the final design for the system as it is in prototype stages.

Since all of the breaking news that came earlier this week, including the PlayStation Phone, a few more details have shaken loose about the device, which many sources have verified.

One of the new news that has hit websites today is that the PSP2 will in fact NOT helm the UMD drive on the current PSP (excluding the PSP Go). The UMD (Universal Media Disc) was launched back in 2004 for use in the PSP. Initially, the format was used for movies, but slow sales of UMD films lead to studios dropping support for the format. This does NOT mean the PSP2 will be downloadable content only, as Sony's very own Kazuo Hirai has said the PS4 will not be solely Downloadable only. Okay, that was the PS4, but this defiantly
    Shows that Sony are not looking at Downloadable consoles only. Then again, the PSP Go was based around downloadable content, and is seen as a testing ground for future PSP's, so who knows.

Games will be stored on a Memory Stick, according to one source. Though we've also been told that Sony is still puzzling out what the final non-UMD storage solution will be for the PSP2.

Sources have also stated that the upcoming PSP2 will be a much more powerful gaming device and will contain twice the RAM of the Xbox 360.

[​IMG]

As powerful as a 360 you say? This should be fun​

While we don't yet know all of the portable's system specifications, we have been told that the PSP2 will feature 1 GB of RAM. That's a massive amount of RAM compared to the lousy 64 MB of RAM the PSP Go and PSP 3000 have inside of them. Both the PSP Go and the PSP 300 contain a MIPS R4000 CPU that is clocked at 333 MHz By comparison the Xbox 360 has 512 MB of RAM and runs a Tri-Core Xenon 3.2 GHZ CPU.

The specs for the yet-to-be-released Nintendo 3DS haven't been officially detailed but we've heard it will be as powerful as the Nintendo Wii which features 64 MB of RAM, and a special processor clocked at 729 MHz

It's starting to sound like someone at Sony is listening to the murmuring about the PlayStation Portable and doing something to fix the issues some have with it. Dual Boom-Boomog sticks, No UMD. A bigger screen, more powerful tech. Touch controls.

Of course with everything tech related, take it with a grain of salt. If we remember correctly, I also made a thread that the 3DS will be as powerful as a 360 as-well. But I will be keeping an eye on this device, so take form it what you will, and no flaming please :rolleyes:

2. Supper

Wait, aren't they making a PSP Phone? Which one will be out- this or the phone? Will both me out? I'm so confused!

3. Qaiz

I'm thinking its both.

The phone will be a phone with gaming traits and the PSP2 will be the '3DS killer'

4. will

sorry but I dont think the psp2 is going to kill the 3ds because psp2 may hve touch controls and a large processing power but the 3ds has a but look at what the 3ds has not to mention all the 3rd party support.

5. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I think he means the PSP2 will compete with the 3DS and the PS Phone will compete with other phones. I'm unsure whether PSP2 will be coming though. If it is coming any time soon, I expect they'll announce it sometime before the 3DS goes on sale.

6. Supper

If it IS more powerful than an Xbox 360, than its bound to be more expensive than an Xbox 360. When (and if) it comes out I expect it to be 400 dollars, about the price the 360 was at launch. Maybe it could cost more? Either way, I thought Sony learned that *most* people value price over processing power.

7. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

I don't think it would be worth it having HD on a small screen, but it depends on what size the screen is! Will it have the red ring of death? XD

8. chris

its taken ages for microsoft to release a new console on the x box line. If it wasnt for kinetic, it would have died out in about a year. The wii was starting to lose interest until the wii board was released. Then out came the motion plus to save it a bit

9. Supper

What will save the Wii now? WiiMote Plus?

10. will

everyones saying its on the way out and its successor will come soon so maybe nothing will

11. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    why does everybody keep saying, "the wiis gonna die" "release something new!!!" bla, bla, bla! The wii is still strong and has WAY higher sales than the other consoles out right now! They are still releasing origianal fun games! So everybody just needs to calm down, cause the wii isnt going to be going anywhere for a long time.

12. will

i know its still strong and i still enjoy playing on mine but they have said they are working on a new home console already so it is coming to the end of its life even if it is still selling

13. Homer Fanboy

93%
    but they still say they wont release it to 2012 which i guess isnt too far off... also just because a new system is coming out doesnt mean it the end of its life. Look at the PS2 for example. And also the GameBoy Advance. The ds was released in 2005 but the Gameboy advance ended in 2008

14. will

i suppose your right but i dont think many company's will be making games for it after its successor arrives.

15. chris

The wii is popular because it is the first console that uses motion sensor. Then the ps3 ripped off the idea but it is not that popular for the ps3

16. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Plus, the Playstation Move costs almost $100!

17. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

The Wii does have more total sales than the competition combined, but it has finally slowed down. It's like a sugar rush: it keeps speeding along further and further and then...bam. It's over.

To me, the Wii seems to be into the last stage of its life, the time when a console gets one last string of uber-awesome games that it will forever be remembered by, starting with SMG2 and most likely ending with Zelda: Skyward Sword. Nintendo has already milked far more out of it than normal: it has already had three "big" Mario games (usually, there's only one of those per console), it has its Mario Kart and Smash Bros., two Wii Sports games plus an uncountable number of "Wii" spinoffs, and will soon have its second Zelda game (also a bit of a pattern, as seen with the N64, GCN, and DS; each of those got a second Zelda shortly before being succeeded).

Really, the Wii is running out of juice. The only thing keeping it afloat through next year will be this final "adrenaline rush" of awesome games and then people will probably honestly begin to get bored of it. Not to mention that Nintendo has probably already saturated the market (read: every person who wants a Wii already has one).

Of course, this is all just pure opinion, so don't take it as fact. I'm just trying to make a counterargument here.)

18. chris

100 f*cking dollars! Its only €20 over here for one controller!

19. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Only €20? That's $28! I wish Wii remotes were that cheap! :(

20. xemnas

something tells me it will set on fire or you cant hear the sound over the fan

21. Ahytys

I care bout games, not bout power and performance, especially in handhelds.... and games on psp1 were kinda few

22. xemnas

if it was anything like the psp1 it will fail it had very very few games that made me want to get it

23. Homer Fanboy

93%
    i totaly agree with you xemnas i have 1 2 3 4 5 66 games for my psp

24. xemnas