1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

PSP2 Hits Next Fall With Dual Boom-Boomog Sticks, Touch Pad and Bigger Screen

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Qaiz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Qaiz

Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.

Several sources have confirmed that the PSP2 does have a previously rumored touch panel on the back of the hardware. The touch panel was described as looking like a big mouse trackpad. When Sony showed the PSP2, it did not provide concrete details regarding how the trackpad will be implemented in games and instead is leaving that to the discretion of game developers.

Sources also confirm that the handheld will have dual Boom-Boomog sticks. Sony's game controllers traditionally have dual Boom-Boomog sticks, but the current PSP model does not. Dual Boom-Boomog sticks would bring the PSP controls more in line with what gamers experience on Sony's home consoles.

The screen itself is not only sharper than the current PSP's, but about an inch larger. The larger screen means that the PSP2 will be larger as well. In the private meetings, Sony is touting the screen as "HD".

A larger PSP should not be that big of an issue for Sony — especially in a mobile environment with large tablets like the iPad. It also shows that Sony realizes it is no longer simply competing with Nintendo, but also Apple.

It is unclear whether this is the same handheld described by the Wall Street Journal. According to the paper, Sony is working on a device that mixes a game player, an e-book reader and a netbook computer.

In late September, there were also reports that the PSP2 hardware was in the hands of "numerous" developers.

Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.

Sony set the PSP2's goals (what Sony wants it to do), but is still tinkering with the portable's innards. The PSP2's tech specs are expected to change, meaning that things like chip size and processor size are variable. What's more, the hardware Sony showed was "temp hardware", so the final design is expected to change.

Apparently, Sony has privately shown two versions of the new PSP. One version slides open like the PSPgo, and another version is similar in shape to the regular PSP. These are prototypes, because Sony has yet to finalize the PSP2 hardware design.

Sources also say that the PSP2's release window is fall 2011. Sony is not yet talking openly about the PSP2.

Sony did not offer a comment in time for publication.

2. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    wow i cant wait! which should i get...3DS? PSP2?

3. Qaiz

I might get the PSP2, the 3DS would of been in my hands if it came out this year, but next March is a long time away, and a month or so later will be E3, and I'm sure the PSP2 will be shown off there.

4. chris

Does anyone know what price it will be. I guess itll be dearer that the pspgo.
    A bit off topic but should this not be in non 3ds gaming

5. Homer Fanboy

93%
    yeah chris is kind of right this belongs in non-3ds

6. GYNGA

That is so cool, I imagine that HD screen will be amazing. Now I even prefer PSP2 more than 3DS. Just can't wait to see PSP2 because now I know it will be awesome hardware :rolleyes:

7. Bartman2

it seems like just a psp with a big "HD" screen on it and a touch pad. havent they heard of a touch screen? im soooo not getting it 3ds is so much better

8. Homer Fanboy

93%
    yeah the only reason im slobbering over it is because of the sony-only games like ape escape

9. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

They both have their ups and downs, but I don't think I'll get the PSP2; it seems kind of worthless to have HD on such a small thing, and HD will make it cost a lot of money!

10. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Moved the thread fer ya. :p

Two words: iPhone 4.

It costs over $1000 in some places, yet look at its sales.

11. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

iPhone 4 has HD?

12. Homer Fanboy

93%
    yes, iphone 4 has hd. It's kind of silly when you think about though, souch a tiny screen you probaly wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a little tiny hd screen to a normal one...

13. GYNGA

HD screen is not worthless anywhere. It just gives high quality view, which makes games and movies look amazing. It doesn't matter it is big screen or small. Already mobile phones are getting HD (iPhone, HTC Dezire HD etc.). But sure it raises the price, which is bad thing, but if you want quality then you need to pay for that, if you don't prefer HD screen then you choose alternatives like 3DS :)

14. chris

for the iphone 5 apple will probably make it 3d useing parallex barriex screen. Also can you use hd on a 3d screen

15. Homer Fanboy

93%
    You can use hd on a 3d screen? I didnt know that!

16. chris

I dont know. Thats why i was asking

17. GYNGA

Why not? As I know HD = high resolution(and lot of pixels per frame). So if 3D screen can be at 800x240 then it can also work at, for example, 1600x1200. It might need more resources but as I know there's no reasons that 3D couldn't work at HD screen.

18. will

i wouldn't bother with a hd screen on a tiny device it drives the cost up to much and it does kinda sum up my idea of sony all graphics no gameplay hd on hand helds could work in the future but right know its to expensive