1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Panasonic Jungle

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GYNGA, Nov 19, 2010.

1. GYNGA

I post some info about Panasonic Jungle, upcoming portable online gaming console. If you find some new information, details or pictures please share in this thread.

Panasonic has announced it is to dip its toes in the world of gaming, with the launch of the Panasonic Jungle portable games console.

There are not many companies in the world which will take on the might of Sony and Nintendo when it comes to gaming but Panasonic has decided it is going to give it a try.

[​IMG]

The Panasonic Jungle is a portable gaming system which looks like a portable DVD player (it's a chunky clamshell device).

There are a couple of games which have been announced for it: an MMO of BattleStar Galactica and a 'badass' online Machinima called Online Underground are said to be coming soon for the console.

In the promo video – which has to be seen to be believed – the kicker for the Panasonic Jungle states: "We are online gaming".

[​IMG]

There's probably millions of people currently using PCs, Xboxes and PS3s who will disagree.

It also says that the device is a 'mean little machine'. But the less said about that the better.

The portable gaming device looks like it is geared to play MMOs on the go, which sounds like a decent idea – but it will need to tap into already successful MMOs, rather than come up with its own, if it has any hope of succeeding.

The Panasonic Jungle does look like it runs on Linux, though, so you should see some Flash-based content (FarmVille etc) heading to the device.

[​IMG]

The device features a QWERTY keyboard, a high-res display and the normal gaming buttons you would expect.

The portable gaming console market is an interesting one at the moment. It seems that gimmickry is needed to separate dedicated gaming machines from smartphones and iPods of the world.

Nintendo is using 3D, Sony is trying the download only approach and now Panasonic is looking at MMOs.

[​IMG]

Panasonic will be hoping that there is a market for this and that it will have more luck with the Jungle than it did with the ill-fated 3DO.

Pricing and availability is to be announced.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jORAteTufTY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jORAteTufTY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

So what do you think about Jungle?

2. Ahytys

Looks cool, but MMOs are boring to me xD

3. xemnas

it sounds like another one of those companies trying to pocket our money by selling something overpriced and will cost a lot every month example the 3do whats wrong with these people how many developers are saying they will support the jungle and you could use any other handheld or a computer and i dont like it

4. GYNGA

Actaully MMOs are boring to me also. At first I get very interested and play a lot but it gets bored to me somewhere in the middle. It sucks, because at first I want to reach the highest level and be the one of the best but I never become one :(

*Damn, I wrote Pansonic instead of Panasonic in thread's name. Feld0, please correct it :)

5. Ahytys

Yeah exactly the same as you... I get bored after few weeks ;)

6. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Meh, it sounds and looks like the N-Gage, which could be considered a bad omen. :p

7. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    It looks very "phat" like the first ds

8. TheNintendoGamer

I can't really speak for it untill it's released, I wonder what it will be like.

9. GYNGA

Agree. Panasonic should try to make modern and beautiful design to attract new customers, but this one is nearly ugly. Hope this is not the final design.

10. will

it looks a little interesting but i am saving my money for a 3ds

11. Blarg

Blarg I didn't like it, I...loved it!
    Staff Member Squirps

90%
    The system looks hideous, it sounds wierd, this won't be a success.

This is the next big thing: 3DS!!!!!!!!!!

12. xemnas

ok so i subscribed to panasonic's jungle website to see how much more a** they can suck and theyve gave us new information, Ok so basically they said their the first to be all digital and the systems unique because, Theyre main focus is on online games and apperently people who have tried the system thing its the best handheld ever ha i doubt it.

the system will fall flat on its face just like the psp go few shops will sell it because if download only systems get popular their shops will lose money

13. Homer Fanboy

93%
    periods.....periods......

14. Homer Fanboy

93%
    haha! If you know, start using periods!! XD

15. Bartman2

or exclamation points!

16. xemnas

17. Bartman2

yeah just separate your sentences is some way

18. xemnas

so who thinks the jungle will fail like the 3do and who thinks panasonic should just give up

19. Homer Fanboy

93%
    they totaly should just give up! I mean, are there ANY positive comments on this forum about it? The only people who will buy this are old people thinking, OOOh! It is a video game! Jeremy will love it!

20. xemnas

for some reason i think this console will have a lot of controversy if it lasts long enough because what parent would want a console thats ads are teaching kids to swear

21. GYNGA

Panasonic sends out invites to registered customers to test Jungle :)
    More Here

Recently Panasonic revealed they killed Jungle project. Because of "changes in the market and in our own strategic direction". Well, bye bye Jungle

22. Fluttershy

Fluttershy Pegasus

I'd completely forgotten about the panasonic jungle until just now. I don't think it was ever going to be able to compete with the 3DS or NGP, and it looked horrible.

23. GYNGA

Agree, and I guess I would rather buy a normal laptop to play MMO games

24. 0003mg

25. HARHARHAR

yeh i couldn't picture playing a mmo on a tiny screen(the text would be too small). It was destined to fail, especially against the 3ds, NGP and smartphones. At least panasonic killed it off now and not let it flop like the gizmondo.
    We sure don't want another gizmondo.

26. Daniel12345

Daniel12345 A Human K.K. Slider

Looks like a overpriced (probably will be) waste of money if you ask me- like who needs a qwerty keyboards on a portable games console?

27. HARHARHAR

You mean probably would have been. Read 0003mg's post above me. AND BE EDUCATED! With an E!

28. Ultra Kart Racer IV

Ultra Kart Racer IV *flashes badge*
    Merlee

GYNGA, what makes you think it would have ran on Linux?
    Or is Linux just a popular OS to modify for cell phones and gaming systems?

29. GYNGA

Sorry, that information isn't mine, I copied it from somewhere. But here take a look at this article - Linux Today - Panasonic Jungle, a Portable Linux-based MMORPG Console
    It says it wasn't officially comfirmed that Jungle runs Linux software but "several credible sources" told that.