1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest!
    Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop? Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!
Hello Guest!
Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop?
Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!

Nintendo Shows Improved 3DS Shop Interface

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Qaiz, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Qaiz

The digital shopping experience that is on the DSi is notoriously slow and clunky, with lengthy waits accompanying most screen transitions. Nintendo is going to be making some major fixes for the 3DS version of the shop.

During an investors briefing today, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata showed a demonstration video for the 3DS shopping channel. You can view the clip for yourself in this video from the event by forwarding to the 40 minute mark.

[​IMG]

As explained by Iwata during the demonstration, the shop interface is split into categories, which he referred to as racks. These racks contain software corresponding to a theme -- for example, "Mario Games."

Select a rack, and you're instantly taken into a list of games available on the rack. Iwata noted that the transitions between screens is quick. You can see this for yourself in the video feed.

Different from the sales-only DSi Shop, the 3DS shop blends sales and promotions in one. Iwata explained that it's like combining Wii Shopping Channel with the Nintendo Channel. The latter has videos, demos and information about games.

In the 3DS shop, when you select a game, you're given the option of viewing info about the game, viewing streaming movies, reading user opinions, and even downloading a demo. You can also jump directly to the game's home page. As shown at the Nintendo Conference last month, the 3DS is capable of quickly transitioning into its web browser.

Iwata did not say if the demo option would be available all games. Such a move would be a dramatic shift for Nintendo, which has made available demos for just a few of its WiiWare download games.

The shop will also organize games based off recent releases and popularity, and will include search functionality. The reason for making all this effort to smoothen the digital shopping experience, explained Iwata, is to promote digital sales. It looks like with the 3DS Nintendo plans on making an even bigger push for direct download games

Click on the link below for the video, go to the 40 Minute mark.
    Nintendo Co., Ltd. Operational Briefing Semi-annual Financial Results Briefing.

Please comment if you find this information useful, thanks.

2. Supper

Great! Keep the information going! :D I'm not really sure how the racks will work; what about all of the third-party WiiWare games?

3. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    eh... id like a wii channel look better than a rack look..

4. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Actually, that was an online store called Wiiの間 (Wii-no-ma), and if you click here, you can see a video on it. I personally like the 3DS shop better (assuming the videos will be fast to download), since you can actually preview what you're going to buy (via videos)!

5. chris

There should be special sections for fans of games. Like a section for mario fans, yoshi fans, layton fans, oot fans and stuff like that. For a mariokart fan section you could download carts, characters, pics and tracks.

6. Qaiz

Well I wrote in the article,

So I think it could be how you imagine :)

7. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

The shop looks better than the DSi one, and it looks much quicker, which will be a relief to me!

8. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    I know. It was the slowest thing ever. I can't wait to start downloading games off this. =D