1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Nintendo Combats Piracy

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Qaiz, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Qaiz

Planning on getting your games free and illegally?

Well remember when Nintendo said they have a hack proof and sophisticated system to combat you pirates? Well Nintendo is now looking into implementing an automated firmware update system for 3DS, as confirmed by CEO Satoru Iwata during an investors briefing on Wednesday.

During a Q&A session at the briefing, an attendee asked if Nintendo would be implementing anti-piracy measures via the internet. Iwata Replied with "As part of the functionality of SpotPass, we're looking into having automatic system updates via the internet."

While the question had been just about piracy, Iwata added that this system wouldn't just for preventing piracy. Nintendo is hoping to also get new functionality onto 3DS systems via the update.

Past firmware update methods have required that the player to manually initiate the update. In Nintendo's experience, said Iwata, players did not do this very much.

3DS will also have a system in place for updating the firmware through package software itself. Said Iwata, "We believed this to be doable because the usable ROM size for the 3DS would become much larger."

Iwata insisted that for both types of firmware updates, piracy prevention is secondary to offering new functionality to owners.

2. Supper

I wonder if the automatic updates will be required or else you're banned from wifi?

3. chris

The thing is this. As companies make 'hacker proof' software, hackers will come up with new ways to hack

4. DeadEye

At least Nintendo is making a really good effort. Should help them avoid losing so much money towards piracy.

5. Supper

Hopefully the 3DS will have the hacking life of a PS3!

6. chris

But the price of games should be brought down. I pay €45 for a new game. If they brought it down €25~€30 more people would buy games

7. Supper

The games are rumored to be 35 dollars. Amazon has the preorder price of MGS at 35 dollars.

8. chris

Can anyone convert 35 dollars into euros

9. Supper

35 dollars is approximately 25 euros, but I expect your games to be 5 euros more than DS games. How many euros do most DS games cost?

10. chris

€30 for a new 3ds game is VERY good. New games are €45

11. Supper

So, your DS games are 25 Euros or 45 Euros?

12. chris

45 euro are the price for ds games

13. Supper

That is a steep price! Over here, DS games are 30 dollars! How much are Wii games there? If you tell me that, I think I can predict how much 3DS games will be over in Ireland.

14. chris

Wii games are €50 over here

15. Supper

Why is there such a small difference between Wii and DS games? That's only 5 euros! I'm guessing that DS and 3DS games will cost the same price over there, simply because they won't charge less, and if they charge more the price will be the same as the Wii!

16. chris

The highest price over here to pay for a game on xbox ps3 or wii is €50

17. Supper

Yeah, it will cost as much as DS games there, unless PSP games cost more there. If they do, the 3DS games will cost as much as PSP games.

18. chris

In fact psp games are quite unpopular in ireland. I have one myself and it is pretty hard to get decent games. Games for psp are 40 euros

19. Supper

With that in mind, expect the 3DS to be 35-45 Euros depending on the game. Is the 3DS popular in Ireland, or do most people regard it as a 3D DS?

20. chris

Yeah it is. Xtravision has already mentioned it on their newsletter

21. Supper

Yeah, expect for the games to be 35-45 Euros, then. Did you use R4 cartridges in Ireland? I hope they make it so people can't pirate games anymore. The ROMs ruined developer support for the DS.

22. chris

Yeah i think its r4

23. Qaiz

The R4 is illegal to buy, sell and obtain in the United Kingdom now.

But since the 3DS has a SD card Slot in the device, it shouldn't need one really, they just need a software exploit. A hacker needs 2 3DS's. Sounds expansive, but it could be paid for Via donations. One legit 3DS and one for hacking.

So when a new firmware is released, he (the hacker) could extract it from the legitimate 3DS and exploit it and then put it online for people to download onto the SD and install.

Thats my theory anyways.

24. chris

R4 is illegal!!! I seen one of those in them machine where you put in some money to win it

25. Qaiz

Didn't you know? It was pretty big news in the gaming community. Homebrewers were going crazy.

26. chris

I didnt know that. And i only seen the r4 card last saturday in the machine

27. Qaiz

Wow, thats funny :p

28. chris

You would find a lot of strange things here

29. Helping

Supercard is confident they can break anti-piracy protection on 3DS.

Supercard remains confident it can break Nintendo 3DS's anti-piracy protections - Tiny Cartridge - Nintendo DS, DSi, & 3DS News, Media, Videos, Imports, Homebrew, & Retro Junk

I also find this bit interesting. The Chinese company believes the onboard CPU in its DSTWO cart, which allows for Xvid/Divx playback and improved GBA/SNES emulation

I didn't know this card could do all that. That's pretty incredible. I thought GBA emulation was pretty much impossible because of lack of memory or something on the DS. And divx playback too? Neat. The improved SNES emulation is also pretty cool, I remember lots of the games were choppy or had an issue here or there.

30. Supper

Isn't Supercard illegal based on copyright laws or something?