1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Nintendo 3DS Hardware

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by ryty1231, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    Nintendo has supposedly revealed the following hardware info for the 3DS.

* Two 266MHz ARM11 CPUs
    * 133MHz GPU
    * 4MBs of dedicated VRAM
    * 64MBs of RAM
    * 1.5GBs of flash storage

Talk about it!

2. Qaiz

Well its not official, but I would take it as close to official as possible since September 29th is 6 days away.

I need to say something first tho...

Don't be underwhelmed buy it. The PSP is a bit weaker then this and the PSP still has amazing looking games and great multimedia functions.

People were amazed by what the 3DS could do before the hardware was revealed, so why should it be lack-luster and disappointing once the curtain has been drawn back on the hardware? It will still have all them awesome looking games like MGS 3 and Mario Kart and Kid Icarus and all in glorious glasses free 3D, and the battery life will be kick ass and the price should be under $200 easily.

3. Zaros

How much could this cost then? I remember getting the (first) PSP with about 4 games for £200..

4. Outlawstar

Agreed Quaiz, that said its a lot more powerul(if these speces turn out to be true) than people may think, these specs put the 3ds abover Gamecube is raw porcessing power, and although the Wii hasa quicker cpu, the pica gpu is extreely versatile and will give more bang for its buck than its specs would indicate at face value, added to this the current gen-capabilities such as normal mapping, shaders, HDR lighting, sub-surface scattering, self shadowing and many others besides, Im convinced that the 3ds at its peak will pump out visuals at a level right between Wiia nd 360..............and for a handhel...........what more do you want really?

Gotta say though Ninty should be giving us at least an 8 GIG hardrive, no one can doubt their succeses but Nintendo are vastly behind the times on many fronts, this and online in general being on eof them..........oh well, 3ds is my most anticipated console in a long while, no because of the specs, or the look, or the 3d, but all of these thigns combined with what Nintendo does best...........GAMES!

5. Qaiz

I agree, but 1.5GB is enough since most people will buy a SD card anyways. 1.5GB is okay for a device that should be under $200 and is enough for the time being before you buy a SD card, it has more flash then the Wii.

6. Zaros

Frankly, Nintendo are appealing to the kids, and now us hard-core gamers. I mean, 1.5gb flash? That's awesome.

7. DeadEye

These are decent specs if true, and a big improvement over the existing DS which is the main thing, I'm not to bothered about the small amount of flash memory either as its alot more than DS and should be sufficient for photos/video and sound recordings if 3DS retains DSi Sound in some way. Although it may be a bit small for storing 3D films (if you do download and store them that is, who knows what system Ninty have devised).

8. Qaiz

Well I dont think the 3DS will install full games. What I think is it will install small parts of the game that will be used for Tag Mode data, so 1.5Gb is fine.

It also has a SD card slot and I will be buying 2 x 64GB SD card's so I'm fine.

I actually expected it to have about O.5GB (512MB) so I'm happy

9. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

I've seen a few comments before that have provided some good evidence that this info may be incorrect; even IGN has been known to make mistakes before, like when they infamously "guaranteed" that the Resident Evil: Revelations demo was not in real-time. The FCC filing also listed 2 GPUs instead of the single one seen here; it's possible, then, that IGN's anonymous source may be wrong about the amount of flash memory the 3DS contains, too. I'm thinking that around 8 GB may be more reasonable.

10. Qaiz

8GB! I didn't even expect them to put any in to be frank with you, I'm getting some 64GB SD cards so I'l have plenty no matter how much it contains in its sexy body! :D

11. maticus

Is anyone thinking that 1.5GB is an odd amount of space to put in this thing? Usually, when a device is sporting flash memory, the capacity is a power of 2. Like 512MB, 1024MB, 2048MB, 8192MB...

If it really is coming with 1.5GB, maybe they're using three 512MB chips?

12. Qaiz

512mb must be already used up from the 2GB Chip for the system files on operating system.

Its like th iPod Touch 8GB, you can only use under 7GB of it, and each time a new major firmware is released, it gets lower due to added features and formatting issues etc

13. Feld0

512 MB is an awfully large OS...
    Even iOS 4 is around or under 300 MB somewhere, and you know how much that does.

I hope this is a sign of how much awesome will be packed into the 3DS before you even pop a cart in.

14. Supper

These specs sound small to me, but I never had a DS, just a GBA SP.

15. Qaiz

Yh, but I am hoping the 3DS also comes with demo's and maybe 3D trailers on the 3DS so people can see the 3D effect out of the box.

16. DeadEye

@Qaiz - does the 3DS support 64GB SD Cards, I thought it only supported cards upto 32GB. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

17. Qaiz

Well I think it only supports 32GB, but no one has said other wise, so maybe it supports 64GB?

We will find out on the 29th.

I have plenty of 7GB, 32GB and 64Gb cards so I'm okay it it is supported or not.

18. DeadEye

cool, cool, just had one of those thoughts that lurks in the back of ones mind of it only being 32gb

19. Qaiz

Yh, It could be limited to it, but maybe it wont be. I hope it isn't.

20. Feld0

32 GB isn't exactly that little, you guys. It's possible for SDXC (that's over 32 GB cards) support to be added through a simple firmware update, though (Nintendo added SDHC support to the Wii like that), so considering that they're already starting to become common today, I have a feeling Nintendo will support them at launch.

21. Supper

With all this extra space, I wonder how much space the 3D movies, music, and 3DS Ware will take on average. Will it be more, or less than the Wii or DSi? I think these things will take more space than before.

22. GYNGA

I think 3D movies should take about 300MB - 500MB, MP3 should take the same as on PC, games with good graphics like MGS or RE about 1GB - 2GB.

23. chris

Well theres only 4 days left to see if our guesses are right

24. GYNGA

Yeah. Already just 4 days left :eek: Can't wait to see what they show to us.

25. Zaros

Well, if I recall correctly SD Cards go up to 32GB? So we can literally use that for Movies, Music, Pictures, AND more..

26. Qaiz

SD cards could go up to 32GB on the DSi and XL but the 3DS is a different beast and no one said it only goes up to 32GB, it could be 64GB and even if it is limited to 32GB, thats enough, just buy 2x 32GB cards

27. GYNGA

OMG, you are talking about 32GB, I was fully enough of 4GB on PSP. I didn't used it for movies and music much but I think I would be fully enough of 4GB - 8GB on 3DS too.

28. Qaiz

Yh This is very true, 8Gb is more then enough, but its nice to have some more room for later on, since the 3DS will have a life cycle of about 6 years...

29. Supper

We are boiling down to the last days before September 29th! In fact, here in the US the unveiling will be at September 28, so only 3 days are left for me! ;)

30. GYNGA

But if games and movies will be on in the cartridge so do you need 32GB for music, pictures and maybe themes?