1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile gaming

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GYNGA, Sep 2, 2010.

1. GYNGA

What do you think about mobile gaming? Do you play games on your mobile device?

2. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

You mean, on my cellphone? Only when my DSi is out of batteries, since I've got a cheap-o Nokia 3500. The screen's too tiny for most games to even render their menus correctly. Every now and then, I borrow my mother's iPhone and waste some time on that, but I have never found its games as deep, rewarding, or enjoyable as the ones I've got for my DSi. Developers just don't seem to put the same amount of effort into making cellphone games as they do for ones designed for dedicated gaming handhelds or consoles.

3. jl32194

I have a Gameboy color emulator on my phone. you can find it here if you want it.

4. Qaiz

What i said here pretty much sums up my thoughts

5. GYNGA

I think mobile phone gaming will be better and better in the future, and maybe a lot of people who use handheld consoles will not use it anymore in the future. Nowadays mobile phones has MP3, GPS, cameras, video preview etc. Imagine if all these things we will need to carry apart? We would not be enough of pockets. Sure the normal photo-camera will always make better quality pictures than integrated in cellphone, GPS device will always be better than integrated maps in the cellphones, but people want more and more on they cellphones, it's just much more practical. So don't debase cellphones in gaming :)

6. Feld0

I see where you're going, GYNGA, and an awful lot of people will gladly sacrifice game quality for portable convenience. However, there will always be at least a niche market for those of us who want to have our epic adventures and simulators away from home. Those of us will gladly encumber themselves with an extra 300 grams on their person in exchange for "real," hardcore gaming wherever they are. I know I do, and I really don't mind.

Just thirty minutes ago, actually, I was waiting for a bus, and with my DSi, escaped to the frozen planet of Arcterra in Metroid Prime Hunters (appropriately, it's a really hot day today down in Zurich :p). Mobile games, be they for the iPhone or otherwise, never quite have that "take me away to another world" feel that "dedicated" games do.

7. GYNGA

Agree with you, Feld0, that's exactly what I wanted to say here:
    True gamers will always buy consoles, they will not be happy with PC, mobile or MP3 gaming until it get better and more comfortable to play than on gaming consoles, but I don't think it will ever happen.

8. Roy

Roy

Seeing as you dislike your phones, may I have one, Qais. :p
    yeah I know what people say about iPhone games lacking depth. They seem mostly like free flash games or occasionly a game that seems handheld quality.

9. chris

Mobile games are just used to pass time. Like you are waiting to see a dentist or something completely boring like that. And phone batteries die quick. Some dont. I have a nokia 5230 and it lasts bout a day just playing games. It is really for when you are bored and that is the only thing that is in your pocket

10. will

i think alot of people like phone games because they are so cheap it only costs about a pound or under to get a ipod game but i would still much rather have one £40 ds game like dragon quest 9 that i can spend ages playing than 40 £1 ipod games that i get board of in ten minutes.

11. GYNGA

I am thinking to buy a cellphone now (I am without it at the moment). I'm looking to Samsung, Nokia and HTC models for about $200 - $220. I want a device with 3G, touchscreen (capacitive), MP3 for sure, 3MP+ camera and OS something like Symbian or Android. Dual SIM would be also cool but I can't find model which I like with this feature.

If I will buy it then 3DS have to wait for about a year. And maybe it is better. Next fall 3DS will be cheaper, maybe hacked... More games will be available... Maybe I can choose between PSP2 and 3DS...

12. Supper

If you are to buy a phone, I would suggest the IPhone4 for gaming, it has the most extensive and best game library for a phone, but I think that you should buy the 3DS and get a low-end phone. Most phones are good if they serve there purpose well and don't have all of that other fodder, same with handheld gaming devices.

13. Feld0

I've got a cheap-o $90 CAD Nokia 3500 Classic, and it does its job admirably: namely, to be a phone. Since I have my DSi on my person at all times, I could care less about epic phone games and stuff.

I do want the iPhone for its web browsing, though...

14. GYNGA

Nokia 3500 classic was my last cellphone :D And Supper, I'm not looking for a phone exactly for gaming. I want to have something to play when I'm boring, at school etc. And iPhone 4 is far too expensive for me :)

15. GYNGA

I am looking to Nokia 5230 now. It has 3G, GPS (not necessary to me), 360x640 touchscreen (resisteive -_-), 2MP cam, Symbian OS 9.4 (which means quite a lot of games). And it costs $188. I think it's quite good offer.

16. chris

I have the nokia 5230. If you want to know something about it reply here and ill answer it. And add this to the list you made; motion sensor and 70mb internal storage

17. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

My dad has an iPhone 4, and he has Angry Birds; it's really fun! He has some other games on it, too, and I have to say: why do people think the iPhone is a major competitor against the DS's, since there are mostly only mini-games that they would put on a mini-games section of a game like, say, Super Mario 64 DS? The games are fun, though!

18. Supper

Will the Windows7 Phone have gaming on it, or is it just for Xbox Live?

19. GYNGA

So I'm not getting Nokia 5230. I will get LG GT540 for Christmas :) It has 3.15MP camera, Android OS, 320x480 touchscreen, 3G, A-GPS and it cost 185$. It has nice design which I like and it has Android which in my opinion is one of the best and very perspective OS. I tried this LG in cellphones shop yesterday and I really liked it. It has resistive touch screen but it feels like it would capacitive :eek: So I can't wait for Christmas :rolleyes:

20. GYNGA

At last I got my LG Optimus! :eek: It is really cool cellphone, I really like it. That's my first touch-controls and my first smart phone :)

As for gaming, I downloaded bunch of games from Android Market. They are very fun and addictive and all for free. I think it is quite good replacement even for gaming console. Graphics are not so good as PSP, but it is better than DS's and it has a lot of fun games and the only minus that I see that it has no buttons, which would help on some of the games.