1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Gear or Splinter Cell?

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Adam, Sep 7, 2010.

?

Which stealth series is better?

1. Metal Gear

28 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. Splinter Cell

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Which stealth action adventure do you prefer? I have to admit I only played a few minutes of the first Splinter Cell in 2002 and haven't tried it again since. I'm I missing out?

2. GYNGA

Metal Gear :D

3. Roy

Roy

Splinter cell is a great stealth em up, but as I've never played a metal gear I have to say that.
    Oh, and Adam, try to get yourself a splinter cell game, they're great.

4. Qaiz

metal Gear created the stealth genre and Splinter cell just kinda copied it.

Metal Gear is awesome, I remember one part where on MGS1 the Psycho Mantis is confronted, he "reads the player's mind" (actually their memory card) and comments on other Konami games they've played, most famously saying "You like Castlevania, don't you?" if they have a save for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. He also "psychokinetically moves the player's controller" by activating the vibration feature. During his boss battle he appears invincible, but Snake's support team quickly informs him (via codec) that Mantis can be beaten if Snake "unplugs the controller from controller port 1, and then plugs it back into controller port 2."

5. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

I've never played games from either of the series, but I'll probably try Metal Gear first, since I've heard many more people recommend it to me.

Qaiz, that sounds awesome! I love it when games break the fourth wall like that! I can only imagine what Konami might've come up with for the 3DS MGS game. Perhaps it will look through all your Tag Mode data and comment on it? :p

6. Qaiz

lol that would be awesome.

*Playing MGS on 3DS* "I see you play online with more girls under 12 then boys, I wonder why?" :p

Also remember that MGS1 was released on the PS1 and memory cards and vibration features were pretty new back then, so it was amazing back then.

7. GYNGA

I played Splinter Cell on my cellphone and I liked it a lot. And I think I would really like to try both on 3DS, but if I need to choose between the, then yes, I would choose MGS.

8. chaoswolf71

Metal gear is the best game ive ever played. End of

9. Sithishade

Here's the thing, Adam. If you want to play Metal Gear on the 3DS... you're kinda going to have to play the others as well. The story is quite intriguing and quite complex, so if you're going to play it all, I'd recommend playing Metal Gear Solid 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then whatever is going to be released on the 3DS (a port of 3, I believe). The story is just so wide that you'd best experience it all. It's amazingly good fun, and those four games together will blow your freaking mind out of the water. Here, I'm going to make this easy for you.

Metal Gear Solid 1-3: Amazon.com: Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection: Video Games
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Amazon.com: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: Video Games

10. sc7639

Metal Gear is definatly great and i would suggest it any day over splinter cell

11. andyj3DS

According to my 12 yr old son who as played all of the Splinter Cell games and has completed MGS4 on the PS3. He says, and I quote (these are his words, not mine ). Splinter Cell is a better stealth game because the gameplay is more intuitive but he likes MGS4 because the customisation is better and the digital camouflage is pretty cool and fits in with the environment. Although, he does feel that MGS4 is a bit "cheesy" especially when snake is detected whereas Splinter Cell is a bit more realistic. On the whole he feels that Splinter Cell is a better game series than MGS. Maybe this would be different if MGS was general to all consoles instead of being predominantly Playstation exclusive. (remember, my 12 year old son as told me this, I've just typed out what he's said.) :)

12. Shnuk

I've already preordered MGS, I really liked playing it on the PS2, at my friend's house. Also I've played Splinter Cell on PC and I didn't like it as much... but... It was on PC so I don't think the comparison is fair.

13. dark_rabbid

Personally I'm getting both because i've never played snake eater.
    But as far as stealth goesMetal gear may have started it, but they tryed to make them more like a movie than a game I don't want a game with 3 hours of game play and 10 hour of movie (just exagerating a little but you know its true.)Splinter cell adds its own stuff to the genre and is almost all game so I go with splinter cell.

14. chaoswolf71

Metal gear solid series quick review:

Story: Amazing, by far the best story of any game series ive ever played

Gameplay: Nice controls, Takes skill to play all round awesomeness.

Music: Really fitting to the mood, for example if your bieng chased there is tense music.

Graphics: all the games graphics were great for there time

! Only thing that annoys me about MGS was that the cutscenes are long, eg at the end of MGS4 there is an hour long cutscene and i went off and made a cupo tea :D lol

10/10 from me

Splinter cell quick review:

Story: Boring compared to MGS

Gameplay: Nice controls but a bit arkward at times

Music: Not really much in the game tbh

Graphics: awful compared to MGS

5/10

So therefore MGS Series is the winner.

15. jgn17

MetalGearSolid!!!
    [​IMG]

16. Bad Shaman

Metal gear of course.

There is SO much to the game than people think. The story is BEAUTIFUL the cast is UNFORGETTABLE. The game is more than just about stealth, its about survival. How would you get out of this situation? What would you do if your enemy knew where you were? Where would you hide that your enemy wouldn't think of finding you?

The Metal Gear franchise is known for innovation and creativity as well.

There are many sequences in all the Metal Gear games where you had to literally think outside the box.

In Metal Gear Solid, you had to connect your controller to port 2 so you can beat a boss because he could read your mind (and memory card)

In Snake Eater, you could have killed a boss without even fighting him by simply putting the year in your calender a few years ahead so he would die of old age.

In Guns of the Patriots, you could have watched a beautiful cinematic cutscene, or shoot the enemies in that cutscene (its hard to explain, but its the coolest thing ever trust me).

And Much MUCH MUCH more! I could list them all, but I would spoil some scenes and it would eat up this reply XD

Plus the AMAZING soundtrack! Its a game that was supposed to be a movie, but it remains a game! Its the greatest stealth game ever made! Don't you dare miss out on it!

17. Bad Shaman

I remember one part where you were supposed to check out peoples butts to identify one specific butt you needed to find.

Or when you had to smoke to see lasers.

or in MGS 3 where you fought a boss that confronted you with every character you killed so far in the game

Or in MGS3 where you....nevermind its a secret.

Also, Adam its not true, you don't have to play all the Metal Gears to get Metal Gear Solid 3.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the beginning of the saga. So, really in chronological order its
    MGS3
    MGS
    MGS2
    MGS4
    If you really wanna get complicated there were other sub plot games. Like The Peace Walker and such.

18. Nelly Nel 713!

MGS! I love that series to death!

19. Fifth_Muskateer

Let's just hope it's equivalent to Subsistence which came out for ps2. Including MGO which was very popular during the time. There's many hardcore players on the ps3 version atm and they could tend to join the 3ds version if sold.