1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Is there any need for parental controls on the 3ds?

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by chris, Oct 4, 2010.

?

Is there really any need for parental controls for the 3ds?

1. Yes because parents might be worried about the time spent on it

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No because they are old enough

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Yeah it could be handy sometimes if you lend it to someone young

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. chris

Is there really any need for parental controls for the 3ds? It has been said that under 8s should not use the 3ds as it may damage their eyes amd they might not see it bla bla bla the list of reasons goes on and on. People over 8 really dont need a cut off time and will probably be never used. Do you think they are even needed?

2. Qaiz

Well many scientist have proven wrong to the whole "children shouldn't look at 3D" argument, so you can put that one to rest.

Also, the 3D does put strain on eyes, but not to the extent that it makes your eyes pop, especially since Nintendo are saying that they are focusing on making the 3D images move away from the person, so its not all in your face.

As for parental controls, The 3DS has a online browser. Do parents want there children to be visiting violent or adult websites?

Or to be talking to a stranger? Or watching appropriated movies? or playing violent games that parents do not want them to view?

The list goes on, so yes, we do need it.

3. chris

You have a point but you dont really expect a nine year old to be watching p**n or watching call of duty videos online

4. Qaiz

Don't I? you'd be surprised with children these days. Imagine a boy in school with a 3D, internet enabled device. He might want to act 'cool' with his mates. Plus it doesn't have to be 8 year old, even 14 year olds could act stupid on it. Plus a lot of parents are even wary of using the internet at all, with these adult ad's everywhere and what not.

Superstitious I say.

5. Supper

An example of parental controls in good use is the Xbox 360. With it, you can block any people who aren't your friends from talking with you. This is good because a lot of people swear at each other on Xbox Live. Nowadays, parental controls are a must for gaming systems.

6. Qaiz

Yup the 360 has great online parental controls.

7. chris

There might be a problem with the controls as some parents hardly even know what a laptop is. When i asked my mother to get me a dsi she looked at me and waited for me to tell has what it is

8. Qaiz

Lol that must of been an awkward moment.

"Get me a DSi"

"...What the hell is a DSi?"

"Sigh..."

9. chris

Thats pretty much what the conversation went like.

10. Supper

^XD I could imagine how that would be like. Luckily my parents are a bit more informed! :p

11. chris

It can sometimes be good if they arent informed in stuff like that.

12. Supper

Parental controls are needed on the 3DS for the same reason schools ban language; some people don't know about the "bad stuff", and the web is the place that people are most easily exposed to it.

13. chris

1 of the teachere in the school i go to always curses. And when you reach the age of 11 you pretty know all the bad language anyway

14. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Eleven? Wow, that's pretty late. I somehow managed to pick up all the bad words and insults while I was still initially learning English at the age of seven.

15. Supper

You know, I never really knew about cursing until I was 12, and that was only a year ago! There might be people like me.

16. Dannyboy

I know the feeling as they didn't have games consoles back in the day so they barely know how to turn them on let alone include controls as the chils would probably set it up and so can get around it so in my opinion POINTLESS

17. chris

It could easily be disabled. Does anyone know that sh*tty firefly phone. It is only meant to call two people but it has been hacked so it can call anyone

18. Qaiz

If you can hack a phone/console, your old enough to play without limitations anyways.

19. chris

You do have a point

20. Supper

The point is that there are young people who will buy the 3DS and they will need parental controls to prevent them from being exposed from inappropriate content. I'm interested how they will display the playing time.

21. chris

Every kid looks at the 'inappropriate' stuff you were mentioning. And to extend the playing time you could just move the 3ds time back a couple of hours

22. Roy

Roy

MOST kids will be able to disable the controls anyway >_o

23. chris

Ye roy is right. Most kids can disable them and enable them if there parents ask to see it

24. Supper

True, but the people who don't know how to will probably need the parental controls the most.

25. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Yes, I think they should have it, since it's better to have more than less. Plus, you can just turn it off if you're old enough, so I think they should definitely have it!