1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Apple trying to get ahead of the Nintendo 3DS?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by jl32194, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jl32194

jl32194

The new Ipod Touch comes with a new HD screen, Game center, two cameras and video chat. Are they trying to get ahead of Nintendo?

2. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Some time ago, Nintendo declared that the only company they see as serious competition is Apple. This may be proof that Apple finally realized just how big an impact their "iDevices" are having on what we think of as gaming.

However, I think Nintendo and Apple are targeting two very different markets. Apple's going after "social gaming," games that are constantly connected to the Internet and your friends. Stuff like Farmville and co. It's a huge business, yes, but Nintendo doesn't seem to be all that interested. Nintendo is covering the "hardcore" market: games that offer a deeper and arguably more rewarding and fulfilling experience than the more superficial stuff you'll find on the iPod Touch.

Both devices, though, have some of both categories of games on them: there are more casual titles announced for the 3DS (like Nintendogs, which I'm sure will feature friend-to-friend communication of some sort) and the App Store has some surprisingly deep games on it, too, like SimCity. I don't think the new iPod Touch is specifically going after Nintendo, though; I actually think Nintendo may be the ones going after Apple. :p

3. GYNGA

GYNGA

Games are really huge bussines on iPhone/iPod/iPad, but I don't think that Apple are going after Nintendo, I think they are trying to rule mobile and MP3 gaming, not the portable game consoles.

4. Qaiz

Qaiz

[​IMG]

This is my take on it. I've talked about this many of times and I believe that phones and game consoles can not be compared.

The iPhone doesn't have buttons for a start. That is a key thing you need to game, There is no substitute. You need tactile feedback, hell people complain about the 360 D-Pad for being so flimsy.

Phones are also upgraded every month or so.

I have an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S and I don't even like any of them.

Phones are phones. No point gaming on a device that will be dead within 2 hours of gaming. Then you cant ring, you see?

Power isn't everything. The iPhone will be upgraded next July.
    The iPod will be upgraded next September.

So even if the dev's make this iPhone/iPod use amazing graphics etc, the device will be upgraded so whats the point.Then the dev's will have to learn the next hardware and how to use it properly.

Unreal Engine 3 on the iPhone works well because the devs spent time on the device and fine tuned it. Its like how the PS3 graphics were OKAY at first, but now they are insane.

The 3DS has millions of dollars invested into the games, and its not even released yet.

Phones have always been better then handhelds, spec wise, but they fail because handheld are made to game. Phones aren't.

There are many phones that were more powerful then the DS when it came out back in 2004/2005, but the DS had loads game devs investing into it.

It has more quality games. You won't find The Legend of zelda ocarina of time on a iPhone and the iPhone cant do 3D. The 3DS will also have a life cycle of around 6 years+.

The N-gage was more powerful then the DS when it came out, but did it kill the DS?

Nope.

The iPhone is okay, but buying it for gaming specs? Really?

Yes one group of devs use the hardware efficiently, but there still will be a ton of games like Angry Birds that don't do anything that breaks Nintendo or Sony's gaming hold.

Also Iwata actually said he has an iPod himself, I'm sure he isn't scared at all.

Phones are good for wasting time while waiting for the doctor, the 3DS is for real gaming with true franchises and true storyline's.

5. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    They might be trying, but they won't succeed.

First of all, the games on those devices drain the battery power. There is no way you could sit down for hours, just playing games.

Then there's the fact, Apple's games seem to be more simplistic, and online oriented. They're meant to pass time, and casually compete with friends, not to keep you entertained over the weekend.

Nintendo will remain strong, even with Apple around. While Apple's games might be great to play, waiting in line at the grocery store, they definitely aren't a substitute for real games.

6. GYNGA

GYNGA

If I think about buying a portable game console, I might think about iPhone to buy. But the fact is that if I will try to play a games on PSP or 3DS or other real gaming console I will never want an iPhone as gaming handheld :)