1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

How will 3DS Movies be distributed?

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Qaiz, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Qaiz

So I was thinking, how Will Nintendo distribute the Movies for the 3DS?

I was thinking Nintendo will make their Movies available Via Cartridge. This sounds reasonable since the PSP distributed Movies on its proprietary UMD format. This means it is less likely for people to access them illegally and also means the Movies can be region locked. I also like the thought of having an Avatar 3D Cartridge in my pocket. The Cartridges are also 2GB is size at launch so that means it has more then enough space for DVD quality movies with great sound quality and maybe even special features bundled with them?

Many people on the other hand have cringed at the thought of this and think it will be digitally distributed. Of course this comes with its problems. For one you don't really own the file since its downloaded. Also, what happens when the servers are down? Or when too much people come online and it slow?

Also how long will it take to download?

On the other hand its more convenient to just download the said files anywhere you are via Wi-Fi or 3G instead of carrying a few carts around.

I like the cartridges tho...

[​IMG]
    Movies on this? Yes, I would love that.

Also what about if Nintendo bring a Desktop client? A bit like iTunes? That actually sounds like the best way to distribute them, I mean nearly everyone has a PC and an Internet connection these days, and if not, then I'm sure your friends do!

[​IMG]
    Something like this, Nintendo, are you listening?

Imagine a desktop client that would allow you to download Apps as well as games and Movies? Coupled by a piece of software on the 3DS, it would make up for some awesome downloading!

The best outcome would be all 3, but I guess we will have to wait and see on Wednesday!

What do you think will happen? And what do you want?

2. jl32194

I like the desktop program idea best, but it should also include on on the go, like the iphone's app store and itunes.

3. Qaiz

Yup that would be awesome, bets of both worlds.

The desktop client is the best but having it on the 3DS also means you can use it anywhere you are, including on a airplane or in a car.

4. Supper

For some reason I think movies will be distributes as a subsection of 3DS Ware. I think it's the most logical thing for Nintendo to do, assuming they will not make any new features.

5. Qaiz

I hope you can drag your own movies onto it like with the PSP and iPod. I have many digital copies of movies that I legally own.

6. chris

They should also allow it to play mp4 3gp and flash videos. Also you should be able to stream and download videos off youtube

7. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    Hi im new and just wanted to say hi and also i kinda like the idea of having them on little cartriges. and maybe they could be bundled with a little minigame or something on the cartrige speciall to 3DS. that be kinda neat!

8. Supper

I'm surprised they didn't mention anything about movies at the Japanese Press Conference.

9. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

I think cartridges are out. Selling physical movies in a proprietary format has failed epically in the past (neither GBA nor UMD movies were particularly successful commercially) because sure, you bought the movie, but you're only able to play it on one device. You can't pop the cartridge into your Blu-ray player, for example; it'll be limited only to the 3DS. In that sense, it's no more free than digital distribution (assuming you are able to transfer your purchases between systems, which sounds very plausible).

Nintendo will most likely go for direct digital downloads to the 3DS itself. A desktop application sounds neat, but the chances of Nintendo relying on their users owning third-party software (computer operating system) to ensure the functionality of a key system feature are slim; they're very much like Apple in that sense, that they prefer to be in control of all the possible variables in the service. They might, however, register all your downloads to your Club Nintendo account and allow you to redownload them onto an SD card from there; a web application, if you will. The focus will definitely be an online shop right on the 3DS itself, though.

I'm guessing movies would

10. Supper

Yeah, that's the most likely way movies would be distributed. There were movies on the GBA?

11. Qaiz

They mentioned Japanese TV streaming to the 3DS in Japanese.

Maybe instant-on streamed movies?

It will definitely be online, but maybe it will have streamed content, the 3DS looks capable.

12. Supper

Yeah, maybe they might have on demand, and I also heard they want to bring 3D advertisements to the 3D TV Streaming to find a source of revenue.

13. StuartY

Downloads, methinks. The 3DS will probably have some form of proprietary/semi-proprietary compression going on, and the screen size is small, so I think file sizes won't breach 1GB (upper limit).

14. Supper

^As I said before, I also think that 3DS Movies will be available from the 3DS Ware store. I wonder how much they will cost, though?

15. 3D Gamer

Sushie

25%
    Awesome idea!

16. chris

I doubt it will happen, but wouldnt it be good if you could send 3d movies via streetpass?

17. Supper

^That would be basically be an active pirating tool.

18. DeadEye

My guess is they will be made available as digital downloads. That seems the most logical and the easiest solution for Nintendo too.

19. Feld0

The connection wouldn't last long enough for you to be able to download an entire movie from another 3DS.

20. Supper

If it can exchange multiple game data and Mii info, why isn't it not possible to transfer a small sized movie?

21. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Yeah, they were of cartoons such as Pokémon and Cartoon Network cartoons.

I think movies will be able to be downloaded off of a store for the 3DS. I cringe at the thought of Nintendo starting to work more on movies than game quality! I hope they spend more time on the games than the movies!

22. Supper

Nintendo isn't the one who makes the movies; Hollywood does that. Nintendo just needs to make partnerships with the companies to get 3D movies on their handheld.

23. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Oh, that's good, since I'd prefer good games over good movies any time! I'm only going to buy videos for my sister on long road trips! The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Gahoole looks cool, but I'm not going to buy it until a plane ride/road trip, etc.

24. Feld0

See for yourself. Sony definitely wasn't the first to try to sell movies in a proprietary format for their system.

25. Qaiz

But Sony were much more successful and the PSP wasn't there first platform for movies.

26. Supper

Ah, now I see why I never knew about them and why they never worked out.