1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest!
    Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop? Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!
Hello Guest!
Want to win $/€/£50 to spend on the Nintendo eShop?
Click here to sign up for our Splatoon 2 Tournament!

Has the US DSi Price been cut before?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Adam, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    You might have read about the DSi price cut in the US. Does anyone know if this is the first DSi price cut in America? In the UK we had a price cut around 2 months ago and I know there was a price cut in Japan shortly before that.

Is America catching up with us on the price cuts or is this a second round of cuts?

2. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

No, this is the first price cut. The DSi (before the XL came out) was $169.99 at first. The XL, when we got it, was $189.99 I think there's been only a single price cut on the DSis everywhere except down in Australia.

3. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    It' strange, in the UK they only advertised a DSi price cut and didn't mention the DSi XL. I hope they will release some new colours over here soon along with a price cut.

4. Feld0

Nintendo's really unlikely to release more DSi colours at this point, if you ask me. They'd want to focus their efforts on having as many production lines as possible manufacturing the 3DS; I don't think they're gonna "waste" any resources making the DSi available in more colours, as nice as it would be.

There may be a second price cut after the 3DS comes out, by which time the DSi will probably have been discontinued.

5. Qaiz

DSi wont be discontinued for a long time, hell the DS lite is still going strong and is a favorite to many due to the GBA slot.

Ds consoles will go on till about 2013

6. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    3 new colours of DSi XL are coming out next month in Australia. Makes me think that might come to Europe too before Christmas if the 3DS isn't out before.

7. chris

Will they be cutting the price outside of usa as well

8. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I think the DSi XL might get an official price cut closer to Christmas.

9. Feld0

Nintendo shouldn't cut the prices of the DS Lite and the two DSis too far, or they might start jeopardizing sales of the 3DS.

On the other hand, the 3DS will probably be sold out for a long time, so offering the old DSs at very low prices will keep people who got one of those instead of a 3DS from feeling bad about having bought old technology once they do manage to find a 3DS somewhere.