1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

gyro sensors and motion sensor games

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Dannyboy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

I am writing this to try and come up with some games which could use the gyro and motion sensors in a positive way, however the problem with them is that by using them it will be hard to keep the sweet spot for 3d however maybe nintenod will try to fix this problem or remove them completely :)

2. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Yeah, that's a good point about the sweet spot. Nintendo is very unlikely to remove the sensors, though, since that would give them a very clear disadvantage over the iDevices (and almost every smartphone on the market, for that matter); I believe developers will simply have to make a choice between using them or opting for 3D effects instead, since both clearly won't be possible at the same time.

3D concerns aside, some good motion-controlled handheld games would include a 3DS equivalent of Wii Sports (perhaps that's the mysterious "3DSPlay" trademark we heard about earlier; think Wii Play 3D), possibly some motion functionality in that OoT remake (aiming the bow, for example), and definitely Mario Kart 3DS.

3. Adam

Adam Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Yeah, Ridge Racer, Chocobo Racing and any other racing game. I'm sure there will be some more imaginative uses too.

4. Qaiz

Qaiz

It will defiantly have some integration in the UI or something, like how Mario used to run around on the N64 boot screen when there was no cartridge in?

Plus 3D is an extra, some games might not even use it, I mean We play games happily is 2D now on 360's, PS3's, Wii's and even the PSP and DS, so why do we NEED 3D now?

Maybe DSi type of games?

5. GYNGA

GYNGA

Agree, even 2D games are awesome, just give us nice graphics and good gameplay and we will be happy. Otherwise, I haven't tried a games with 3D feature and I would really like to do it and see is it so good and do we really need this feature on gaming.

6. Feld0

The N64 had no BIOS; if you booted it with no cartridge, it only displayed a blank screen. I don't remember Mario running around or anything; you must be confusing it with SM64's "press start" screen.

You may be thinking that way now, but I think that once you get used to the 3DS's graphics, there will be no going back. Miyamoto said that the 3D effects can potentially revolutionize 3D platformers, like the Super Mario games. *drools at the thought of Super Mario Galaxy 3DS*

7. Qaiz

Qaiz

I must of got mixed up with the Nintendo 64DD peripheral

8. Feld0

Nintendo must have something in mind if they've gone to the trouble of adding the sensors. Ooh, perhaps we'll see some sort of "Wii Fit Portable" that counts your every step everywhere you go with your 3DS and uses the 3D cameras to Boom-Boomyze you accurately when you're doing an exercise! Think Kinect in your pocket.

9. Qaiz

Qaiz

Maybe, but maybe its for dev's who cant make 3D games, you know, the type who makes games on android and iOS appstore, DSi type games.

Also would this be possible, using the gyroscope to aim, so you have this aim indicator on the screen and you move the 3DS up and down, left and right to move the aim?

Also, some games could not use 3D at all, just like some iPhone games don't use the motion controls and same with the Wii

10. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    Using the gyroscope to aim would be cool. I'd also like it if you could just give the 3DS a quick flick to do tricks in Mario Kart, but I doubt they'll do that, as plenty of 3DSs would break.

11. GYNGA

GYNGA

Agree, Aiming with gyroscope would be a cool feature. A qiuck flick tricks also.

12. Qaiz

Qaiz

Or to move the game into First person view (À la Metrod Other M)

13. Supper

Supper

The motion sensor can be used for a lot of different games. Perhaps there will be two options to play a game like Ridge Racer- Motion controls or 3D.

14. Outlawstar

Outlawstar

Using the Gyroscope to aim gets to be a real pain real fast, based on my experience with Doom on iPhoe, as for how the motin will be implemented, time will tell, it seems that it will have to be done at the sacrafice of the 3d effect, but is that necesarily a bad thig, it will be a mater of balance, Im guessing the 3ds has the ability to self-regulate the 3d effect which could make for some interesting use of the motion as it is called for.

That said I think gyro/accel control works extremely well for racers, which in tur have been touted as some of the best showcases of the 3d effect, hmm, Eiter way, Boom-Boomog will sufice, or motion without 3d.

For Mario kart Iv always prefered D-pad control, though long sessoin can tire out the thumb, so I think both option willbe available inn the game, plus perhaps motion control steering without 3d.................that said, the viewing angle in terms of inclination from the central axis is what distorts teh effect, perhaps simply turning the device on a single plae, a la, a real steering wheel may not have a negative effect.........time will tell.

15. Supper

Supper

So, you're saying that you're fine with either 3D or motion control, but you prefer to use the D-pad? Well, the 3D effect will be lost if you move the system, but you can move your head a little bit and the 3D won't be lost.

16. Outlawstar

Outlawstar

Im saying I prefer to use the D-pad for Mario Kart in particular, simply because it doesint particularly need Boom-Boomogue in my opinion, that said, I dont mind either way really, just that I have a preference for d-pad use in Mario Kart.

17. Qaiz

Qaiz

D-Pad :O

The Slide Pad is miles better. 360 degrees of freedom

18. Supper

Supper

Have you tried Double Dash or Wii? The controls are much better in those games.

19. Outlawstar

Outlawstar

Yes Ive played all Mario Kart games, and I prefer using the D-Pad, I have no problem using the Boom-Boomogue in Double Dash, I just happen to slightly prefer D-pad control for Mario Kart, that said, I like the lack of pain a long Boom-Boomogue session brings compared to a D-pad one!

20. Qaiz

Qaiz

Motion controls are great on a Home console since your moving and waggling a controller.

When your using the screen as a controller, thats when it becomes a nuisance.

21. Outlawstar

Outlawstar

Here is where I would would have to disagree, Real Racing on the Iphone is one of the most immersive racers Ive played on any console, the motion controls work beautifully, with the screen content adjusting as you tilt so you never feel disoriented..

22. Qaiz

Qaiz

Its a great racing game, I've got it on my iPhone but would you sacrifice 3D for that when you could use an Boom-Boomog or D-Pad?

23. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    Just because the 3DS has 3D doesn't mean every game for it should be 3D. That's like buying a toaster and only making toast with it, and not Pop Tarts.

24. Qaiz

Qaiz

Erm yeah and?

But most games are going to use 3D because its a money maker, thats why most movies have been converted to 3D after Avatar. Just about every, if not all, launch games and most, if not all games within the first year will be 3D even if it doesn't make any difference.

Its like iPhone games. Just because its got a touch screen it doesn't mean games have to use it, but most do even if they don't need to. Its a novelty feature that will make people what that game more.

"Mom! Buy me this game! Its 3D!"

And don't say "Turn the 3D off" Because I doubt Nintendo will make control schemes for 2D and 3D

25. kallumsmarties

kallumsmarties

Friend Code:
    3866-8106-6029
    its summit they r useing for like nintendog put ur face next to 3d screen and dog licks ur face its just depends but wouldnt it be good instead of touching the screen ur touch the 3d screen now tht would be epic

26. Supper

Supper

You never know, they might do that. They did that with Real Racing concerning motion control.

27. Qaiz

Qaiz

This is the 3DS tho, its selling feature is 3D and also may I say that launch titles will probably be rushed in the sense they wont have everything that they could have ie: Control schemes for 2D/3D.

28. Supper

Supper

We don't really know when the developers got their kits and when the 3DS will be released, so we can't assume the games will be rushed.

29. Qaiz

Qaiz

And we cant assume games will have accelerometer and gyroscope support either.

30. Supper

Supper

I said that they might have acceloremeter/gyroscope support.