1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Grammatical Errors

Discussion in 'Website Feedback + Community' started by ryty1231, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    I was recently reading the "Meet 3DS" page when I stumbled upon some grammatical errors in the "Experience 3D Without Glasses" section.

First, I beleive that "will do" should replace "does" to describe the 3DS's effects on 3D gaming as the 3DS hasn't been released yet.

Secondly, "braking" was used incorrectly in the last sentence of the above paragraph. Instead it should be "breaking" because the ground certainly isn't slowing down.

2. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

If there's something I could get rid of, it would be all the major grammatical errors in the world! The "braking" one is correct, but I believe that since the 3DS already exists, then the word "does" is suitable in that sentence. If it was only an idea, though, then it would be "will be". Speaking of grammar, there are two grammatical errors in your post: the first being the misspelling of the word believe ("beleive"), and the second is the fact that there is no comma between "gaming" and "as", since 3D gaming is not acting like it's the 3DS!

3. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Oi, I see that, too. You should PM or email Adam; he has a higher set of privileges on the main site than I do, and since he wrote that page, I'm unable to change it.

4. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm keeping the "does" because it's correct in a sense and it means I won't have to change it when the console is released. I've fixed the braking/breaking issue. Feel free to point out any other errors like this. I'm prone to missing these things no matter how many times I proof-read.

5. Feld0

Might I ask, why can't I edit the pages and posts you wrote, anyway? I remember being able to do it before to update things like the release date and price pages, but it seems you lowered my level of privileges. :confused:

6. chris

'yeah iit iz dizgrazefull thee amount of miiiztakes in shpelliing. Wee shouuld reallly make theem coorecct. Aaanyyyyyyyonne elzee egre!'

7. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Really? You still have the same user level and haven't done anything to mess with user settings for a long time. Try again and let me know if you still have the same problem.

8. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    hey it isnt doing it anymore, but it happened for awhile and it was really anoying. On the main site you know where it says stuff like "3DS Games" "What The 3DS Does" the black bar that is under them goes all the way across the page and turns everything under black. This is very annoying because I couldn't read the rest of articles under them.

9. will

seriously no offence but does this really matter i mean its not the end of the world if their are a few errors.

10. Feld0

Yep, still not letting me. Whenever I try to edit something you wrote, it's just sorta grayed out, like everything used to be back when I was only a writer and not an editor. Only for your stuff, though, Adam; I can edit anything by anyone else.

@will: I know, a few mistakes don't sound like much, but hey, it doesn't hurt to fix 'em. Feel free to report any other mistakes you guys find and we'll fix 'em up. ;)

11. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

We can? Then how about on this article on the caption that says, "They might be ahead of the curve, but Spice don't really know how to make 3D look exciting." It should be ". . .but Spice doesn't really know how. . ."!

12. Feld0

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Of course you're free to point out our mistakes. It's how we become better writers. ;)

13. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I'm never really sure if it should be "don't" or "doesn't" when you're talking about a company. It's only one company so you'd think "doesn't" is correct, but a company is made up by a group of people so shouldn't that make "don't" the correct word?

14. Ahytys

I think referring to A company, "doesn't" sounds better

15. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

I have a knack for seeing tiny errors, maybe since I'm a semi-perfectionist (I always play a game until I've completely beaten it and I go crazy when someone, I mean, somebody has bad grammar)!

EDIT: I have proof, too! Go to the "Which Colour 3DS Do You Want?" thread and read my last comment; I edited it just to erase a little misplaced comma! >_< On another post, I edited it to edit the "Reason for Editing" text box, since I made a grammatical error on that!

16. Mae Tallick

Lakilester

50%
    AHHHH! That needs to be sales! Oh my that's a surprising one!

17. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

What article is it from?

P.S. It's not an error; it's an idiom. If you "take the wind out of the DSi XL's sails", then you basically make it stop progressing, or moving forward, so that means the 3DS' announcement made the DSi XL stop selling as much. It wouldn't have made sense as this: "It must have taken the wind out of the DSi XL's sales." That would imply the DSi XL is made partially out of wind! :p

18. willow.

please remember that some people have learning difficulties which effect their ability to write effectively, when rushing however, i do think that articles which can be used for citation should be correct.