1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Friend codes and online buddy systems

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Feld0, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

The quintessential topic where we will discuss the online systems of the 3DS; or rather, the "friend list" component of them.

It has practically been confirmed that Nintendo will continue to use friend codes. However, they have also reassured that they are aware of their mistakes in the online space and have worked on improving "what they already have."

The theory I like to believe is that friend codes are still there, but rather than being linked to every single game, they may now be system-specific instead, allowing users to use a single code for every 3DS game they own. Ergo, when you and a friend register each other's friend codes, you'll both get added to your respective 3DS's system-wide buddy lists (rather than Ninty's previous approach where every game has its own buddy list) that are shared between all of your games. I'm hoping we'll get other system-wide features, too, like music playback, chatting, and even push notifications à la iPhone/iPod Touch. That's what I think, anyway.

What are your thoughts on how registering and communicating with friends will work?

Off-topic: appropriately (I believe), I typed this entire post on my DSi. Had to make a post from the 3DS's predecessor, y'know? :p

2. kallumsmarties

tht sounds so much more easier :p god this is going be so epic im preordering mine once its available to :D

3. brian6330

Parakarry

I think that when I the 3DS gets released, then we all could switch our friendcodes, right there on the forum.
    Oh :rolleyes: and I can't wait for the 3DS, because of the graphics, games, and how the hardware got better.

4. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I'm sure there will be a lot of friend code swapping on here. I wish Nintendo wouldn't impose the friend code system on us though. Maybe have some kind of adult check facility to opt out of the friend code system and let us have something more user friendly.

5. Feld0

I'm hoping (against all odds) that Nintendo will surprise us and drop the friend codes entirely, actually. I mean, what on Earth is wrong with registering usernames (and, for privacy, only enabling communication after both parties have registered each other)?

6. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I guess with Nintendo being such a family-friendly company, they don't want to risk any of the bad publicity Facebook gets when its users kill each other.

7. Feld0

Whoa, whoa, whoa...Facebook users have tried to kill each other?

I wish I knew whether that comment was sarcastic or not. Still, an online system would use usernames, not real names (unless someone uses their real name as their username, which Nintendo couldn't really do anything about). It would be up to parents to control whether kids release information that would allow someone to track them down and kill them...

8. Qaiz

Nintendo talked about how the 3DS will connect to users around you, a bit like mark mode, so maybe it would bring up a list of all the users you have essentially 'bumped into' when you open your device?

Sounds really bad for kids tho lolz, but was pictochat any better?

9. Feld0

The DS already did that when you put it into "Tag Mode" (or "Bark Mode" in Nintendogs) in specific games, but apparently, this function's supposed to be system-wide and much-improved now.

I never understood PictoChat. It only works locally, so why the hell wouldn't you just look up and talk to your friend? I think we may be able to expect an online form of PictoChat in the 3DS, though.

10. Qaiz

Pictochat worked up to 250Ft in many tests. Imagine having a pedophile talking to kids while in the back of a car or in the mall, or hell even outside of the garden?

Plus what if your in class and want to talk to a friend or send message in silence?
    You cant just talk

11. Feld0

You're in a bit of a fix when your classmates don't bring their DSs to school. It works up to 250 feet in open areas. In my own tests, it doesn't even reach from one classroom to an adjacent one.

12. Qaiz

Its just for kids...or criminals

Nintendo will improve it tho, thats a given.

13. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    Wifi Pictochat would be amazing! I hope you have the ability to send pictures over Pictochat too.

As for friends lists, I hope they get rid of them, or make your system code the friend code for all your games.

14. Feld0

Ooh, I just thought of this: a lot of games will probably focus on just using the top screen for its 3D effects. I have a feeling a lot of them just won't be doing much with the touchscreen. You might be able to have PictoChat running on the bottom screen when a game isn't using it!

15. Qaiz

I doubt it, many games need both screens, plus the second screen is used as a second Slide pad.

Just because the bottom screen doesn't have 3D doesn't mean it will be unused. Its the main control scheme for Nintendogs and Pokemon for example, and maybe even Kid Icarus and Star Fox and many others.

The touch screen will be necessary for many games, and it would be hard to play with one hand while writing. If your playing a racing game, how would you accelerate if your using your right hand to write?

16. jl32194

Use your middle finger to press r to drive, and hold the stylus in your two free fingers, although pictochating and driving is very dangerous.

17. Qaiz

Its not convenient tho is it?

Plus I doubt most games will use R to drive. Most will use the face buttons (X,Y,B,A)

Plus how could you drive and write like that? Do you think Nintendo would do such a thing?

Nope,Nintendo do things that are innovative and easy for all ages.

18. Feld0

Pfffthahaha. Try showing a few Nintendo games to my parents. My mom nearly puked when she saw Excite Truck (she doesn't feel much better about Brawl) and my dad...umm...it's best if I don't say anything. :p

19. Qaiz

Moms and ads seems to not like Games tho no matter how good or bad. Its tooo much for them, hence Sony and Microsoft bringing out Move and Kinect

20. Dannyboy

Maybe instead of friend codes they could do something similar to facebook so if you want to add a friend then you type in their name and if they know you then they can add you and if not then ignore you it's very simple. I would rather have that than friend codes :cool:

21. brian6330

Parakarry

@Qaiz: I have a dad that likes video games, and so I'm verry lucky.
    @DAnnyboy: It would be very nice if they do that, but I don't think they will do that, because of "child safety" even if the people who play this are older than 8 or 9 I still think that parents wouldn't like it the other way.

22. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

How long did it take to type it?! XD I hope on the StreetPass mode, it lists the person's friend code for the 3DS, to make it easier to get friend codes, since I hardly go online to find them! The "single code for 3DS" idea is really good; I hope they do that instead!

23. Supper

^Even that might not be child-friendly because you don't know who the person is!

24. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

True, but you wouldn't actually meet that person in real life, only competing on a game like Mario Kart and things like that.

25. Supper

Even so, it looks like we won't be able to do that based on the video of the features translated.