1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite home console - current and past

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Adam, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    OK, this might stir up some debates but I'd like to find out what our readers think of other systems.

For all time best I'm going to say the Dreamcast. It was way ahead of it's time with online gaming. Even better, how many other consoles come with a memory card which doubles as a portable console and secondary screen in the control pad?

View attachment 1

For current best console... I'm going to stay out of that one for now.

nok1888 likes this.
  2. jl32194

My favorite home console of the past was the Super Nintendo.

My favorite home console now is the Wii

3. Mike-Fisher

I think Wii is the best. I know it hasn't got the best graphics or HD but it has what counts most, fun games like Mario Galaxy.

For best console ever, I think the N64 changed the way games are made. I must have spent months getting those stars in Mario 64. It was really hard and frustrating but still fun. I don't think I ever got more than 70 stars though.

4. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Yeah the Super Nintendo was great. I remember my mum being oddly excited one day when I came home from school. She asked me if I was going up to my room. I could tell there was some kind of surprise up there for me. I expected a bar of chocolate or something. Sitting there on my bed was a SNES with Street Fighter II. Awesome!

I never had an N64 although I really wanted one. I didn't get to play Mario 64 properly until I got it on the virtual console. You're right, it's really hard.

5. Mike-Fisher

Best now: Wii
    Best ever: Wii

6. jamesslater

Past: I have to say N64: Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Ocarina of Time -- QED. (I sort of wish I could say SNES but that wouldn't be fair since I never actually owned one. The Wii does have Virtual Console, though, which is like having a virtual video game museum at your fingertips -- now if only there were some sort of retro controller wii adapter for that "genuine retro experience".)

Present: Wii, for changing the way we play. Xbox 360 has done great things with online but I don't really care for that, and the PS3 is a technological powerhouse that overshot its mark.

7. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Good way to sum up the current generation. I think Microsoft tricked customers a little into buying an XBox 360 instead of a PS3 in the early days by not including Wifi and then charging £60 for an adaptor (for something that would cost about £10 on PC), Making the console seem less expensive at first glance. Charging for online play (£150 over 5 years) not including an HDMI cable in the package and selling it with smaller/no hard drives also made the console seem cheaper. They got the money back later. Not everyone needs these things but I think most people want them.

8. ThatDamnPinoy

im with adamleavi with the dreamcast. that had some of my most favourit games ever like Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, House of the Dead 2, Power Stone and some more of the lesser known gems like Rez, Cosmic Smash and Gundam Rise from the Ashes... I wish that the 3ds gets some virtual console content...

9. kallumsmarties

haha it is so hard to say cause like resident evil its all on all difference console some games r and u dno what to pick but i grew up with n64 and supernintendo u cant say no to them when u was younger :p

haha i manage get over 100 and u should adam :p awh so many kwl games on n64 god u would of loved it as a kid it made my day

10. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Hmm...it's kinda hard choosing with the SNES being an allowed option, but believe it or not, the Wii was my first console (if you don't count an N64 that my sister's ex-boyfriend let us have for a few months). I'll choose the little white box, especially since it plays almost every classic game (grr...except Yoshi's Island...)...

11. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Phew, I was beginning to think I was going to be the only not to pick a Nintendo console. Yeah so many great games. Shenmue and Crazy Taxi spring to mind but I'm sure there plenty more.

I'm ashamed of my Mario 64 abilities. I had a Saturn and Playstation so never got the N64. I loved playing on Pilot Wings 64, Blast Corps and Wave Racer at my friends houses though.

12. kallumsmarties

ill admit though i loved house of the dead on dreamcast and the sonic the hedgehog where u can the little game thing with u aswell and put them on the dream cast and played with them and haha dnt be ashamed :p i bet ur an epic gamer i so wanna challenge u to a 3ds game when its out XD

13. sunshine

My favourite past-time home-console was the original Playstation, but then I was bought a Gamecube, and that has been my favourite ever since! = )

14. Feld0

Huh. Looks like I've fallen between a bunch of Dreamcast fans. I've heard really great things about it, but I've never owned a Dreamcast and can't be bothered to try and emulate it.

Kallum, I think we're actually gonna host some 3DS tournaments once we've had it for a bit. ;)

Oh, and Adam, I suddenly feel the need to brag about my relative awesomeness in Super Mario 64. I've beaten it about five times on four platforms (N64, Wii, DS, and emulators), and have, like, 146 stars on the DS version. :p

15. GYNGA

PSP :) The one and only I have ever had

16. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Wow that's impressive. I didn't even know there were over 120 stars.
    I've never had a PSP but the screen looks awesome. Really high quality.

17. Feld0

There are 150 stars in the DS version; the VC and N64 versions only have 120, so you weren't entirely wrong. I love that game, and couldn't resist an extra 30 things to do (as well as the chance to play as Yoshi...seriously.) after having played the heck out of the original.

I agree with your opinion on the PSP screen. It looks like a miniature hi-def set; a friend of mine that moved away had one and let me watch a couple of movies on it. Amazing stuff; I think the 3DS's screen will look even better, though, in no small part because it will be smaller (therefore, it will hopefully have a higher DPI) and because it will be 3D.

18. GYNGA

That's why I bought it. The DS looked a very far away from PSP graphics. I know that DS games are interesting, but I am racing fan and it will never be enough of Mario karts to me.

19. Qaiz

My personal favorite is the PlayStation 1 for introducing me to some amazing gaming franchises and bringing fully 3D worlds to the masses.

The Gameboy is my favorite handheld for just being plain awesome and brining handhelds to the mainstream.

Wii is my favorite console in terms of innovation and bringing something entirely new to the game and allowing anyone and everyone to play.

NES is my favorite console in terms of making video games fun again.

3DS is added to the list!

20. Angel792

My favorite console was the Dreamcast and the N64, but more the Dreamcast, i remember those awesome times and games, im thinking of buying the Dreamcast again.
    sony(the company that doenst have any imagination, that only copy from other companys like Nintendo )kill my favorite console, i will never forget it:(

21. Qaiz

If only the Dreamcast had a DVD player, it would of survived. :(

RIP

22. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I know how you feel. It took me a long time to forgive Sony for that.

23. Roy

Roy

I have to say the gamecube, it had a load of great exclusive games, amazing graphics ( that still look good today) and an awesome controller. Why it lost the console wars I don't know. The most underrated console ever.
    Oh and, greetings, roy is now on the forum.

24. Feld0

Hi Roy! If you want, you can officially introduce yourself in the "Introductions and Everything Else" section.

I agree with your points about the GameCube, though I wouldn't call it my favourite console (partly because I never owned one). I think the reason it lost the console wars, though, was because of its discs' limited capacity of only 1.4 GB when the PS2 offered 4.7 GB and the Xbox 8.5 GB. Developers love having more room to play with. This is also the reason the N64 went down; despite being technically superior to and more powerful than the PlayStation, its cartridges were very small and didn't allow room for FMV cutscenes, which were huge and very popular with developers at the time.

25. Qaiz

Very valid points, thank god the 3DS has 2Gb at launch huh?

26. Angel792

The only game I saw on the N64 that haves rendered cut scenes was Resident Evil 2, i think it had like a little cd inside the catridge because when you star the 64, the N64 logo appear, and it starts spinning like a cd.

27. Qaiz

The n64 used a 512-megabit cartridge. It actually ran at high resolutions (640x480 compared to the PS1 version's 320x240)

And it also had surround sound, the PS1 didn't.

Don't know about a CD tho

28. Feld0

Favourite console. A perfect thread for newcomers to post in. *stickies*

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Developers cared more about high media capacity than technical prowess, and chose to develop for a technologically inferior system because they could utilize pre-rendered movies on it. The 3DS seems to have taken care of the storage capacity problem, though; its cartridges are more generous than GCN discs, and there were some massive games for it.

Angel, I don't think there were any CDs inside N64 cartridges. You may be confusing it with the 64DD peripheral.

29. Roy

Roy

Yeah I suppose the added storage of ps2 and xbox games was partly a reason. (although the same cannot be said for the ds and psp)
    Personaly i think all the consoles from that gen had great things the other consoles didnt have
    Gamecube: Brilliant 1st party games from nintendo, (and the most important reason, Metroid Prime)
    Xbox: Games like halo and other games.
    PS2 Increased disk storage and 3rd party support.
    Oh and i think gamecube games had up to 1.8 gb. I'm fairly sure but i might be wrong.

30. Angel792

Yeah I know about the 64DD, but I was saying that RE2 haves rendered videos, you can see it on the link

YouTube - (Part 0) Resident Evil 2 (Nintendo 64) - Opening + Leon A Failure - PEMNAS Playthrough
    or Claire version
    YouTube - (Part 1) Resident Evil 2 (Nintendo 64) - Restart: Claire A - The Terror Begins - PEMNAS Playthrough

But the videos are low quality because they have to compress the game so it can fit on the cartridge.