1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

DS games on 3DS: Resolution Problem

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Doctor Conan, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Doctor Conan

Doctor Conan

I've been thinking how will DS games look on the 3DS, will it have two pillars on either side?, will it be windowed?, I don't know. I hope it isn't pixely and not too small. I'm especially worried about this because my DS Lite has dead pixels so I thought when I get the 3DS I can just play them on that (especially Pokemon Black and White). Also my DS Lite has a broken hinge. How do you think Nintendo will do it?

P.S. Do you guys think I should just get another DS Lite?

2. GYNGA

GYNGA

I was thinking about DS games resolution on 3DS screen too. Lets see how Nintendo will solve this problem.

3. Qaiz

Qaiz

I would think the 3DS would have black bars around the image, I mean the DS audience is the main people that Nintendo are targeting with the DS games, not to please 3DS users with them. Most games will have 3DS counterparts anyways, one would hope.

4. Adam

Adam Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Feld0 is actually writing an in-depth article on this very subject. I'm looking forward to seeing what his well thought out opinion is.

5. Qaiz

Qaiz

Looking forward to it :D

Hope our questions are answered, tho I would still suspect it to be purely speculation as to what it will be like.

We will have to wait and see for ourself.

6. SamuraiChris

SamuraiChris INACTIVE

Hiya. I'm not an expert on the 3DS, however I can answer a few of your concerns.

First up is the issue of upscaling the resolution of the top screen for DS games. In the past, for the GBA, you could toggle the aspect ratio between the wider GBA screen and the more square Gameboy's. This is just conjecture on my part, but due to the way most DS titles interact between top and bottom screen, I'd say chances are slim that this functionality will make it into the 3DS. Who know though :)

As for dead pixels; sadly these are a manufacturing defect that comes with LCD screens. For the most part, manufacturers of LCD screens (including the 3DS's parallax-barrier screen) are getting better at screening imperfections out of the manufacturing process though. Nintendo can minimize them further by carefully inspecting each screen that comes in, but there will be a few to slip past. There's not much that can be done in this regard.

And then there's the hinge. My DS Lite's hinge broke as well, so I feel your pain. Luckily, Nintendo was able to resolve the issue with the DSi and DSi XL; so chances are good they won't make the same mistake :)

And now I'm off to work; hope this helped out, and didn't just make you more confused!

7. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Hey, welcome to the forums, SamuraiChris!

I'm pretty sure that dead pixels are covered by the warranty for free, as long as your system is still under it. I've heard great things about Nintendo's customer service when it comes to repairs and stuff. Don't know about the hinge, though, as I've never had to deal with a broken one.

Now, I'll save my detailed thoughts and careful Photoshops for my article, but I think Nintendo may offer us a choice between scaling DS games and displaying them 1:1. Some people will prefer the crispness of the 1:1 image and won't mind the black bars and pillars too much; others will probably be willing to "suffer" a blurrier image in exchange for one that fills the screens. Can't talk about it too much now, though, since I gotta have something to put in the feature! :p

8. Qaiz

Qaiz

I would rather suffer ;)

9. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    Definitely!

Also, we won't be seeing any black lines I don't think, they're quite small.

10. GYNGA

GYNGA

SamuraiChris - a good explanation. Now it's quite clearly about it.

11. Qaiz

Qaiz

Yup, plus the rim around the screen would be black, so the black bars would fade into the housing, don't you think?

Plus people don't care when movies have black bars along the bottom or at cinemas and IMAX screens so why now?

12. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

I don't think the black bars/pillars will really melt that well into the housing. I'll release a single image from my upcoming article here to illustrate my point.

[​IMG]
    Click it to see a bigger version.​

Again, I'm addressing this in painstaking detail in the article itself, so this will be the first and last you see of it before I publish it. Still, that image alone should be enough to spur a little discussion.

13. Qaiz

Qaiz

It actually looks okay!

Its a bit small at first, but I like it for some strange reason.

It's like its reminding you your playing on a superior console, plus it looks nice and cosy for some reason..I don't know? Looks cool

But wouldn't the touch screen be a bit weird, imagine trying touch touch that small thing? :/

I'm sure you can stretch it out, i mean the DS didn't have the same resolution as the GBA, but you could stretch it out, and the consoles were totally different, but this is similar ascetically to the DS.

14. Doctor Conan

Doctor Conan

The screens look too small for my taste, I don't like the look of the touchscreen. I think Nintendo should make a 3DS exclusive for Pokemon Black and White but I guess that would be expensive along with the DS version. By the way guys the dead pixels have come back to life on my DS Lite somehow! (I think)

15. Qaiz

Qaiz

The screen looks okay to me, sacrificing a small screen for great quality, but I seriously doubt it would not be able to shift to full screen

16. GYNGA

GYNGA

Looks quite not bad on your picture, Feld0, but the touch screen might be too small. But I think it's OK to play DS games on 3DS like that.

17. Roy

Roy

Probably do the same as playing old gameboy games on a gba or gba on a ds. It will either keep the image the right size or stretch it. Just a guess but I think it will be something like that. :)