1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think sony will try to get ahead of nintendo in 3d gaming?

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by chris, Aug 31, 2010.

?

Do you think sony will try to get ahead of nintendo in 3d gaming by releasing a 3d console?

1. Yes, to keep up with the competition.

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, they wont bother.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. They might, but it will be 2-3 years until they do.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. chris

chris

Do you think sony will try to get ahead of nintendo in 3d gaming? That is the question. And if sony released a 3d portable console would you buy it. Do the poll as well

2. Qaiz

Qaiz

Sony Wii try to over take Nintendo with the rumored PSP2.

They will NOT be effective tho. Sony always believe in having the most powerful hardware, but thats not what makes handhelds good, its more than that.

Nintendo will always be superior due to the huge amount of games available on their hardware. There are games for everyone to play with. Nintendo also has memorable characters that mean something to its users.

The thing that makes handhelds sell is a good battery, and Nintendo have never made a handheld under the 10 hour mark, a diverse and big library, games for hardcore gamers, casual gamers, parents and young people. The brand is also well known.

The PSP is bulky, bad battery, all graphics no substance and even the things like glossy surface makes it not good, especially when it gets millions of surface scratches on it that are visible when playing in the light. The screen is also dim and has ghosting.

Nintendo will have a head start by then and will have a big user-base.

I'm not Sony hater, but its just facts, People LOVE NINTENDO and also love long battery life and great and diverse games.

3. GYNGA

GYNGA

I think they will not, because people will think that they are just copying Nintendo. I think they will try to put better graphics and make it more powerfull, maybe they will make it as pawerfull as PS2 is and then players could play PS2 games on PSP2(I think that would be fantastic).

You are not right. 3DS maybe will have games for every genre, but DS didn't

I am human, but long live battery is not my love. My love is good games with nice graphics.

4. Adam

Adam Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    How quickly those people forget though. Just a few short years ago this was the story:

5. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Haha, good point, Adam. There's a very good reason Sony won then, though, and it's the same reason they were so successful with the PSone before the PS2. Namely, that they secured pretty much all the third-party support there was to be had. If anything, Nintendo has done just that with the 3DS.

I'm wondering about Microsoft, though; they've already made it clear that gaming's a huge focus with their Windows Phone 7 Series OS. A lot of people will probably jump when they see that they've got the legendary Xbox Live on phones.

Then again, that's all the more reason for Nintendo to give us something really special in the online department. ;)

6. Qaiz

Qaiz

Geez you don't get it.... what made the Gameboy so popular? It had POOR graphics, it didn't even produce color on the appallingly small screen, but it had tremendous battery!

The Sega Game Gear had a color screen and played games similar to the Mega Drive, but it failed massively!

Atari Lynx was the same story, amazing screen and much better graphics. The world's first handheld electronic game with a color LCD display.

It failed!

Why? because it was graphics over substance and it was overpriced and had poor battery!

Atari was basically laughing at Nintendo at first due to the small screen, but it triumphed.

Oh and BTW the DS DOES have games for everyone.

Hardcore games like Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Fun competitive games like Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs for children, Final Fantasy IV for RPG fans, The World Ends With You for people who like good story lines or anime, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for adventure fans and zelda fans alike as well as Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Brain Age

and much more...

Do you actually own a DS by any chance?

Sony succeed with the home consoles, but look now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is something you can not take away, Nintendo have a brand right now that is known to everyone that isn't intimidating.

You guys have to realize non gamers are so intimidated by game controllers and stuff like the PSP, the 3DS is a god send for them.

Look at PlayStation Move, its so laughably trying to catch up with the Wii that Sony stumbled flat on its face with a Boom-Boom with a Bulb on top.

I all of this gen's consoles so I'm not a fanboy, but Nintendo OWN the handheld world, thats why we are here waiting for the 3DS...

7. Adam

Adam Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    Good points with the sales figures. Nintendo have had there ups and down with home gaming but they've never been came in second with their handhelds. I have to say that I think marketing played a large part in the rise of Sony (our games aren't just for kids) and the come back of Nintendo (our games will make your family happy).

8. Qaiz

Qaiz

Also it was Nintendo who brought Sony Into the console business. Nintendo wanted a add on the for SNES if I'm correct, and it was supposed to accept CD's.

Long story short,they work on two versions. One that is a add for the console and a console that has the cartridge slot as well as the CD slot. This was called the PlayStation.

Sony Announce this at CES. They are happy. Nintendo come on stage and actually say that they are working with Philips instead. Sony feeling betrayed went into the foray alone, creating the PSX. They scrap it to wait for the competition. They then release the PlayStation in 1995 with aggressive marketing and with Sony Records to help them distribute the games.

They released it before the N64 and the only competition was the Sega Saturn, which cost $100 more and was harder to develop for.

Nintendo was a niche company back then that had its fans and haters, but everyone loved the Gameboy. Nintendo fell back with the GameCube because they tried to go head on with Sony AND Microsoft.

Nintendo have now taken the Blue Water strategy.

But thats not to say Nintendo haven't done much.

The game world was dead back then due to no quality control with games. More games were being made then consoles and many had to be dumped.

Nintendo had been around for around 100 years making card games. They started to make arcade games. they then made the FamiCom in Japan to great success. They then brought it over to the US in the form of the NES.

They tested the reaction in New York,and it was a poor response. They then redesigned it within an hour and released it and sold record amounts and thus came Nintendo.

History lesson :p

9. will

will

i think sony will make a 3d hand held since i dont think they are scared of copying people playstation move (with its stupid looking controller) is prof of that.

10. Feld0

Nice summary of the history between Sony and Nintendo. Here's a cool fact I'd like to add to it: to this day, Sony still owns the rights to the soundtrack of the first Zelda game back on the NES.

Will, you're right in thinking that Sony isn't afraid of copying. However, you should also give them at least some credit. They're partly responsible for the fact that 3D is such a big deal now, since they pioneered 3D TVs. The talk about those and the PS3's new 3D features has been around since last year, or even before then. The 3DS has only existed since 2008, and we only knew about it after March 23rd. Sony isn't necessarily as unoriginal as you're all holding them to be.

That said, I can almost guarantee that the successor of the PSP will feature glassesless 3D visuals.

11. Qaiz

Qaiz

Wow I didn't know that :O

Anyone herd of that PSP Phone?

12. Feld0

I've heard of it. I think that by the time we get it, though, Windows Phone 7 Series will already have established itself as the best cellular gaming platform (only cellphone-wise; I don't see a way it will beat the 3DS) and that Sony will fail again, just like they did with the PSP. In the meantime, Nintendo's already got all the 3rd parties that matter on board with the 3DS, so it's gonna be really hard IMO for another company to overtake them.

13. GYNGA

GYNGA

What's wrong with you people? :D Sony didn't failed failed with the PSP. They sold over 60 millions of these consoles worldwide. That desn't look like failure to me, even if the Nintendo sold twice. If the PSP is failure to to you, so the N64 and NES and all Nintendo consoles before also was a crappy failures, because SONY sold much more PS1/PS2 consoles? And the PS3 and XBox 360 are total failures, because Nintendo sold much more Wiis that other did? Because PS3 doens't look like failure to me, XBox 360 either.

14. zeldaboy10

zeldaboy10

In a word: yes.

15. Qaiz

Qaiz

Its a given, they will, but Nintendo still has all the franchises and great prices (I hope)

16. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    They'll do it, but then it'll be super late like move. Why'll Nintendo was developing a 3D system, Sony was busy trying to catch up with their motion control. Sometimes I feel bad for Sony... NOT!

17. GYNGA

GYNGA

Yup, Nintendo has a lot of good new ideas for gaming. And everything they trying to put first in devices.

18. Qaiz

Qaiz

You cant act like Nintendo do everything first tho, sure they brought the rumble pack and Boom-Boomogue controllers and more. but Sony brought 3D to TV's well before the 3DS was announced and what about when/if Nintendo bring out a HD console?

Microsoft did that first.

19. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    True, all of them have made great advancements, but all the attentions on Nintendo right now, so this is a quite biased actually. Personally, if Sony did this first, I'd be talking about how cool Sony is.

20. Roy

Roy

Ah but sony said glasses free 3d was not accurate enough.
    Also about making of the ps1. Nintendo were using Sony to produce the cd part of the Nintendo playstation. Nintendo realised the contract meant Sony had control of all the games released. Nintendo were having none of it so they quit the project.

21. Qaiz

Qaiz

Yup, Sony wanted control over it since they were manufacturing the CD's

22. 3D Gamer

3D Gamer Sushie

25%
    Friend Code:
    ComingSoon
    I don't think they will sell a 3d portable console unless they have a screen protector or a Dual Screen portable console because of fingerprints.

23. GYNGA

GYNGA

If PSP2 will have touchscreen then yes - firgerprints is problem, but if PSP2 will not have touchscreen, then bigger problem is scratches, because PSP screen is very easy scratchable. Sony should take example from iPhone's screen which has a very well scratches-protected screen.

24. Qaiz

Qaiz

The PSP could be scratched easily because it was plastic, the iPhone is glass, but glass shatters easily.

25. GYNGA

GYNGA

I scratched my PSP screen first day I bought it :rolleyes: But that scratches are not very seenable and doesn't very affect when gaming.

26. Danny

Danny

im pretty sure they will, but if they do release a 3D version of there PSP, it will fail to impress most people yet again because sony fail to makethe thing that makes every game great, great gameplay, a good story line etc... they focus to much on the graphics and Microsoft are no different.

True, Nintendo's graphics arent to compare with Sony and Microsoft, but what makes Nintendo a great gamming industry is the fact they care about the actuall game content more than anything which is why they have stayed at the top for so long, they introduce games for all the family to enjoy much like in the Wii and DS console, so there is always something for everyone.

27. ryty1231

ryty1231 Yoshi

25%
    That is so true. Nintendo likes to impress everyone.

28. Qaiz

Qaiz

Thats not really true tho, remember when the PS2 outsold the GameCube so badly that people thought Nintendo would simply vanish? People loved the PS2, never mind the PS1.

I understand and agree that Nintendo has the best game-play and has the best art direction. They also have great franchisees and fun games, but you cant call them better then the rest. Millions of people prefer HD graphics to SD graphics. Look how much copies of Moder Warfare 2 have been sold, it sold 4.7 Million on 24 hours. That should prove the fact to you. Wouldn't you like it if the Wii had games that looked as good as Gran Turismo 5?

[​IMG]

Don't say no, because I know you would love this kind of graphics.

It might fail to impress you, but others maight be impressed by it, thats why the PS3 has sold 37.6 Million all together and the 360 has sold 43.1 Million to date despite the higher price and less rigorous ad campaigns.

I have always argued that Nintendo is better then the competition and the Wii is great even-tough the graphics isn't the best, but saying none cares about the graphics is just Naïve.

If the PSP2 has 3D, it will sell like hot cakes. Many people love Sony and many people would die to play games like Gran Turismo and God Of War in 3D.

Not everyone is impressed by Zelda or Mario, some people laugh their ass of at Mario.

The PSP2 will have better graphics and some people like the games, plus I'm not even getting the 3DS for the 3D effect, I couldn't care less about that, I just want it because I have spare cash.

29. GYNGA

GYNGA

Intelligent minds, Qaiz. I have always said that I didn't understood how Nintendo sales could be so high. In this forum I little by little figure out what Nintendo lovers wants to say, when they explaining that games with worse graphics (sometimes much worse) that looks like from previous-gen console is better than huge games with good graphics, which looks amazing.

In fact when I sold my Sony PSP I was hoping to see PSP2 coming soon. But it doesn't seems to happen. Now when I don't have PSP anymore I understand that it was superior handheld. When I'm back from school, when my homework are finished something comes to my minds... It's wish to play with PSP for a half of hour, maybe for hour or two... It's regret that I sold it. Like you all have Nintendo in your hearts so I have Sony in my. But I'm going to buy 3DS to fulfill the emptiness that PSP left...

It was so poetic. Seriously, if I would need to choose between 3DS and PSP2, which would have much more better graphics than 3DS, I think I would choose PSP2. Even if it wouldn't have 3D effect such as
    3DS's. Sure the price would have influence for my choice also.

But if Sony will try to surpass Nintendo in handheld 3D gaming, I hope they make it better than Nintendo, because if they will make worse, then I don't know... In my eyes Sony will be as stupid copying machine... As China.