1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice

Battery life

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Feld0, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Of course, one of the most important things to consider when buying a handheld device is just how long it will go before you need to go find a power outlet to charge it up again.

So, this is the topic to discuss the battery life of the 3DS. At E3, Nintendo stated that they aim to keep it comparable to the DSi's, but they didn't make it clear if this took the much-discussed tag mode into account or not. FYI, the DSi topped out at 9-14 hours on its lowest brightness setting.

At a comparable brightness setting, I believe the 3DS's battery life will be as follows:
    11-12 hours w/ tag mode off
    5-8 hours w/ tag mode on
    3-4 days in sleep mode (read: closed and with the screens off) w/tag mode on

Again, these are just my personal estimates. What are your thoughts on the 3DS's battery?

2. Qaiz

Can tag mode be turned off? I thought it was supposed to my always on and searching for other devices no matter what?

Anyways I would say around 10-14 hours

3. Feld0

Well, that's just suggesting that it can be turned off. If not, the 3DS would be banned from airplanes, which is one of the best places to have some portable gaming with you. I can easily put seven hours into my DSi on a long flight to or from Europe.

4. Qaiz

Well I suppose it will be on at all times but have an airplane mode? Like where phones 3G signal/wifi is turned off.

I see the tag mode being one of the key elements in the 3DS, especially for Nintendo to crack down on piracy and friendly game play and better online

Imagine your 3DS connecting to a internet hot spot instantly and identify your game?

5. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    I don't actually use the DS outside of the house very often so battery life isn't a big deal to me.

6. Qaiz

Yh plus the 3DS is more of a One-To-One experience. Its not necessarily a device that is made to be carried all the time but something that is for around the house

7. GYNGA

I think about 8-12 hours, but the battery lifr isn't very important to me, I was fully enough of my PSP battery life.

8. Feld0

I'd disagree. To me, there's no point in it being a handheld if it's not meant to be carried around. I always have my DSi and ten game cartridges on my person at all times, and I don't think it's a bad idea. It comes in really handy when you're waiting in lines or on a bus or something.

Besides, it's clear that tag mode is one of the 3DS's big selling points. Tag mode is completely and utterly pointless if the 3DS never leaves the house. Therefore, I think battery life will be an important factor because if it runs dry, not only can you not play anymore, but tag mode becomes inactive, too.

I think we can actually expect a fairly reasonable battery life from the 3DS, considering its weight. The DS Lite weighed in at 218 grams, and the DSi, after getting five hours' worth of battery axed, came in at 214. The 3DS, though, weighs 226 grams; that's noticeably heavier than both the Lite and the DSi. I think we can attribute this increase in weight partly to an increase in battery size, which will be necessary to maintain battery life like the DSi with the significantly more powerful hardware.

9. Qaiz

I totally agree, I just didn't phrase it right I guess.

I was supposed to say that the 3DS isn't something you don't necessarily walk around with while using, but something you will stop to play to become immersed into the world of that said game, like on the Bus or on a bench, not walking around with your eyes glued to the screen until your battery wastes.

Its like a phone, you don't walk around with it on every second, you use it when your in a good enough location.

I see the 3DS as a pokedex sort of thing lol, you carry it around and use it when engaged!

*A wild snorlax appears!*

10. Feld0

Oh yeah, that's a given. It would be kinda hard to play on a 3DS while walking, anyway, since you wouldn't be keeping still enough to get a good 3D effect.

Your comment about it being a Pokedex-like device made me think of this, though: what if you do walk around playing on it, and the cameras are on, constantly looking for something they can identify? Then, when they see a bush or something, they could make a Pokemon appear out of it in the game! It sounds like a great way to get augmented reality going.

11. Qaiz

Yeah! Did you heard about that Pong game?

I cant remember where I herd it but it was a game where a ball bounced back and forth, sounds dull but the cool thing is it used the camera!

So when the ball bounced down, it looked like the ball was bouncing on the floor and because the screen is 3D, it would come back into your face.

I thought it sounded cool

12. Feld0

3D Pong? I remember hearing something about that somewhere. I'm not a big fan of Pong, though, and as cool as this version may have been, I still think it may get old fairly quickly.

Oof, we got off-topic. Discuss battery life again below this post! The general consensus seems to be that Nintendo isn't lying about it being close to the DSi's. Does anyone think it will be severely affected by tag mode?

13. Qaiz

No, battery life has advanced a lot, and I would except the 3DS to have a bigger battery too.

Around 14 hours for gaming in 3D, 3D movies 3D camera and more isn't to bad.

The iPod touch 4G has great battery specs for a device thats 7.2 mm thin and weighs 101 grams.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for Pong, its great as a tech demo.

14. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    I hope it's at least 8 hours with tag mode on. If not, I'll be a disappointed.

15. Qaiz

Nintendo never disappoint with batteries.

16. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    Yeah, unlike my laptop. :(

My DS Lite battery didn't work too well though, then again, I got it used.

17. Roy

Roy

I rarely use public transport and so i use my DS mostly at home. However one of the things that annoys me is that my ipod touch has a very short battery life, and i have to charge it often. So the less I need to charge the more i like it. (not to say i dont like my ipod touch, it's a great gadget to have)

18. Qaiz

iPod touch has a great battery life, unless your playing games :/

19. GYNGA

Even 4 hours of battery life when playing would be enough to me.

20. chris

It should be very long battery life because of the wireless feature

21. kallumsmarties

agree i dnt use mine only at work home and in car and i got car charger and charger to charge it up during dinner time cause i sit there and makesure things r fine hopeing we get customers so im on it constantly and i got dsi xl wish i didny get it knowing this is out

22. jojo71

hey i'll try do the math.............. so here is my estimate aroundthe same as ds lite so 9-12 hours min brightness and 7-9 highest brightness

23. Qaiz

The DSi is already bright enough... do you really want to be blind???

24. Supper

I'll be happy with an 8 hour battery life.

25. Qaiz

I Suspect it will be around 5-8+ hours maybe with 3D and with full brightness and maybe 12+ without 3D, of-course this is just my predictions.

26. Feld0

Turning 3D off won't actually make a difference in the battery usage, unless you're playing a game that was never designed to have 3D in the first place (probably not gonna happen; at least for a while). The 3D works by positioning the in-game camera at two slightly different locations in the in-game world every frame, then interlacing the two images together onto the 800x240 screen. The parallax barrier then sends every odd-numbered pixel to one eye and every even-numbered pixel to the other eye. When you turn the 3D off, it still continues to take two pictures for every frame, but just from the exact same location. The 3DS will still be rendering its output at 120 FPS, even though every pair of frames will be identical, so GPU usage, and therefore battery life, will remain unaffected.

27. jojo71

no qaiz 7-9 wasn't brightness level it was battery life duhhhhh!

28. GYNGA

I don't know what is really DSi brightness, but I hate it when you can't see anything in the sunlight. New Super AMOLED screens can fix it but 3DS isn't going to have it tho. So I hope brightness settings will let you make a strong brightness when you really need it and low brightness when you are in the dark and you want to save your eyes.

29. Supper

I'll be fine if the brightness can go up to the GBA SP's highest brightness.

30. 3D Gamer

Sushie

25%
    Nintendo's consoles always had more than 7 hours of battery life. I also remember reading something saying "The Nintendo 3DS is trying to match the DSi battery life." which is more than enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.