1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

3DS Piracy Protection

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by GYNGA, Sep 4, 2010.

?

Do you think 3DS protection wil be hacked?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. GYNGA

Nintendo said it's very good protected and difficult to break. Do you think hackers will break 3DS protection or not? Is it necessary for you?

2. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    Eventually, it will be hacked, it might be a while though with upgraded security. I'm hoping they won't hack it though. I don't like all the cheaters in Mario Kart and such.

3. Qaiz

It will be hacked, its a given, even the 'un-hackable' PS3 has been jailbroken lately.

Nintendo will try to update the 3DS with firmwares I would presume.

4. jl32194

I hope it gets hacked. I like my homebrew.

5. Qaiz

Who doesn't like homebrew?

6. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    I don't use homebrew, but as long as people don't cheat in games over wifi, I'd be fine. We all know that's not gonna happen though.

7. Qaiz

Yes I hate cheaters, whats the point winning if you didn't do it?

I rather lose fair and square than cheat.

8. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

The DSi still hasn't been fully hacked, and it's been around for about two years now (Japan got it before the rest of the world). According to Nintendo, the protection on the 3DS is leaps and bounds ahead of the DSi's, so I don't think we can expect homebrew anytime soon. It will come along at some point, yes, but it may not happen for a couple of years.

Whoa, what are we talking about? This topic's about piracy protection, not hacking protection (though I suppose they go hand-in-hand). Anyway, Jorge wrote an article about it some time ago, and I addressed the subject in a feature of my own before that.

9. jl32194

The acekard 2i can fully run on a dsi. You just have to take dumb down the firmware so it isn't protected as well.

10. Qaiz

They are banned in the UK, so I hope it gets hacked by softmod :(

Or I might have to obtain it Sam Fisher style :cool:

11. GYNGA

PSP FW 6.20 also haven't been hacked yed. PSPGo too. But maybe it's because anyone really trying? I think (or I hope?) 3DS protection will be broke. Who don't like free games? :D And I think even with broken protection 3DS and its games will have succes.

12. chris

I dont do it but i think the price of the games should be lowered so it will be less piracy

13. jojo71

i agree with feld0 but you gotta say its not gonna be that long until it gets hacked

14. Adam

Staff Member Ms. Mowz

70%
    If games force you to connect to the Internet every now and then, I think they could stop piracy. They have to do it in a way that doesn't annoy users too much though.

15. Qaiz

Well I see the 3DS having frequent firmware updates, and also the 3DS will connect to the internet automatically.

Now you may say this can be turned off, but the usual soccer mom and her 7 year old child may not think this. Its enough to stop them.

Also little things like playing online with a game thats not even out yet will cause alarm bells.

Maybe games will have serial codes?

who knows, I hope it is opened up tho. 3DS is high on wish lists, so hackers will be determine to open it up.

16. teopless

It will eventually be hacked. Soon or late, Nintendo just can't stop hackers. Now about piracy, I think that the effort put in blocking it will eventually cause hackers to give up. Especially if it will be updated with more complex security.

17. Axis

Its Not necessary...
    But my DS has pirated cartridge...
    ~Plz don't start telling me that I support piracy.
    I would LOVE to buy original games, But my country doesn't have DS games they only have r4s, EDGE etc.
    So i HAVE to download all the games. Although my parents are OK with it xD

I only Hope that the 3DS is the same so I can at least play all the games and not be left out like the rest of my country :p

18. Qaiz

Yh its a vary valid point I suppose. Not EVERYTHING can be hacked, but most things can be. If It is hacked, it will be awesome. Imagine the possibilities.

19. GYNGA

My PSP also was hacked and I all my games was downloaded and I what I like in the hacked devices that you can play all the games you like, because some games you can't buy in your country, some are not affordable for you etc. And I know that I support piracy but if PSP wouldn't be hack-able I hadn't bought PSP as well. So even if PSP wouldn't be hack-able Sony and games developers still wouldn't get my money. I hope you get it what I wanted to say :)

20. curious aardvark

One thing I like to do on new forums is to start at the back and look at the older threads.

This one is dear to my heart.

I own a psp with entirely downloaded games.
    I also own a gba with a lot of cartridges and a lot of downloaded games.

Now ordinarily I won't buy a console untill i know it can run 'backup' game copies.

But the 3ds is just such a great bit of kit and the only truly portable 3d device that's around and is likely to be around for the next couple of years that I bought it regardless.
    There are cards you can buy (although so far I've not managed to) that will already let you play back up game images for the ds and dsi.
    So at some point in the next year or so someone somewhere will work out how to backup 3ds cartridges.

But in the meantime it's kind of nostalgic to go back to the stage where I can't have any game I want as soon as I want it.
    So the games I do buy will be played as much as possible. Which also means I'll be thinking very carefully about what I do buy.

I've already got zelda on order. based purely on the fact that twilight princess on the wii is the best video game I've played in over 30 years of gaming (yes I go back to pong). And apparently it's based on ocarina of time. So the best video game ever in proper 3d ? That's a no brainer.

I'll probably want a decent beat em up at some point. Never could stand the streetfighter fanchise. So I'm going to hold out a few months and hope for tekken of some kind. And if that doesn't look likely then dead or alive dimensions looks pretty promising.
    Plus after havinga shufty around there are a couple of ds games that look quite good and those are dirt cheap.

So while I do want the 3ds to get hacked I'm not that bothered if it takes a while.
    What about the rest of you ?

21. meermans

aardvark, you make some interesing points, and tbh, I'm in the exact same frame of mind as you! I wouldnt mind if they never cracked the 3DS because the device itself is pretty stunning, and eventually, like with the DS games, 3DS game will become even cheaper (second hand etc) so I can still pick up stuff without it costing me too much.

I'm also thinking that the eShop will represent the place where I'll spend most of my money - imagine if they actually had some good stuff on offer in there? on weekends, when you are bored, you can have a browse, and then just pick a game to download for £3-£5 maybe £10 at a strech, and that's your entertainment for the weekend sorted. I know that's what I'm looking forward to.

So yeah, if the eShop can fulfill my hopes, then I'm not bothered about the 3DS ever being hacked (homebrew on the DS is amazing though as it opens up a plethora of other features, so if there's something like that that can be done with the 3DS, I'd maybe change my mind... although it seems the 3DS does so much already!)

22. curious aardvark

Read somewhere (read so much since I've bought this thing, I have no idea where I read this) that it supports game images from the pc-engine.
    Our younger readers won't have a clue what that is. But essentially it was one of the best 16 bit consoles ever made and also one of the early handhelds and one of the best.
    More importantly from my point of view it had some of the best shoot-em-ups of any handheld.
    So yep, if the pc engine back catalogue is featured I can see myself actually buying games again :)