1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

3ds fps

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Supper, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Supper

I was wondering, if a developer decided to not make a game in 3D would the FPS rise too? The 3DS has 30 FPS for rendering two images, but without 3D it can render 60 FPS.:confused:

2. Qaiz

Maybe, but what would be the point? 30FPS is more then enough. Even Uncharted 2 runs at 30FPS and I enjoy it without any problems. Cinema's play movies at 24FPS if I'm correct, so if Dev's opt out of 3D, they should use it for more horsepower and graphical power.

3. Supper

Ah, thanks. So other specs can be improved if 3D isn't used for a game?

4. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

To my knowledge, the 3DS renders at an effective 60 FPS (120 FPS in reality; 60 FPS for each eye) in 2D and 3D alike. It continues to do so even if you set the 3D slider to "off"; the game would have to be specifically programmed NOT to render at 120 FPS for developers to be able to make use of the extra power. Apparently, the increase in available power isn't that significant, though; rendering a scene twice for the 3D effect doesn't take up twice as much power, as so many people seem to believe. In reality, the performance gains are probably not enough to justify losing the 3D effect.

5. Roy

Roy

a quick google and i found this guy saying he can tell the differance between 90 and 120 fps.
    but i have never noticed frame rate issues (except maybe once when a game was lagging) so i don't mind

6. Supper

I asked because there was an article here about how much more power the 3DS games could have without 3D.

7. Feld0

I remember that article. There -is- an increase in power (but it's not as big as many believe), but I think it's worth neglecting IMO to get the 3D effect.

8. Supper

Ah, I see. One more question- will the resolution increase to 800X240 pixels if a developers decides not to implement 3D? You can't deny that being a good improvement in power.

9. Qaiz

Well I don't know tbh.

People are saying that it wont due to the fact Nintendo want the 3D effect to look better then the 2D effect. If it was better looking in 2D, people wouldn't want 3D as much.

Now its a valid point, but its not scientifically correct.

People are also saying that the 3D image is 800x240 anyways since each eye is seeing 400x240, so when the image is combined it equates to 800x240.

I on the other hand say it will not go into 800x240 mode since the 3D effect works by showing 2 images at different perspectives to each eye at a resolution of 400x240 per image. It does this by showing the images through 'slits' in the screen. The images are interlaced.

When you go into 2D mode, you are effectively turning off the alternative 'slits'

Anyways the 2D image will have 2x Anti Aliasing and motion blur, so it will look better in 2D anyways.

Plus 400x240 is good enough, its a step up from the DS.

10. Supper

Yes, but Nintendo's competitors still have better resolutions. Can I take that as a yes, no, or I don't know?

11. Qaiz

Take it as a no as I explained the way the 3D effect works wouldn't even allow it

Also about the competitors. Who cares? The iPhone has a 1GHz A4 CPU and a 512MB ram but it still doesn't make it better or worse then the 3DS's 64MB Ram as it has different needs.

The 3DS was never meant to be a good quality screen

12. Supper

Ok, I'll take your word for it...... at least until the 29th.

13. Qaiz

Lol by words will be true after that date as well! D:

You watch! :3

14. Outlawstar

Personally I would have liked a higher resolutin myself, but this resolution combined with the anti-alisasing as the scale the 3d effects proide should be just fine, I mean one thing I prefer is when there are enough pixels so that text doesint have to take up more real estate and be blocky, looks like thats gone based on the screens Ive seen.

And if you look at the demos of the Mario Galaxy statues, pikmin, Link etc, I think the resolution will suffice.#

Though again I would have liked it bmped up a tad more:)

15. Feld0

If the DSi's resolution is enough, I'm sure the 3DS's will be just fine. Of all the people that have tried the 3DS, has a single one of them complained about a pixelated screen? Nope.

BTW, for people concerned about the 64 MB of RAM, allow me to soothe your souls by telling you this: the 3DS simply doesn't need that much RAM because it uses cartridges. Cartridge ROM can be read about as fast as RAM, meaning that games can, for the most part, be effectively streamed rather than loaded in advance. Not only can they cut costs by including less RAM in the system that way, but it also saves battery (as there is less data being copied around) and REMOVES LOADING SCREENS! Honestly, that may be the 3DS's greatest advantage over the iPhone; that you'll simply never need to wait for anything to load (gawd, some iPhone games take a good half-minute to load, during which time you're just staring at a boring screen; annoys the hell out of me).

16. Qaiz

I wasn't saying the 64MB of Ram isn't enough, because I know you directed that at me, I was just using an example of how people think everything has to be a direct translation to the competitors.

If an iPhone has 512MB Ram and the 3DS has 64MB, people start to get hyper

A Xbox 360 only has a 512MB GDDR3 Ram as well but it runs nearly as good as my PC with 8GB Ram due to the fact the PC and the iPhone are running full OS's in the background as well as other applications. Phones also advance very fast and thus need to keep up with the competition. Phones also are not created with games in mind so the phones hardware doesnt use the games efficiently anyways.

Consoles are made to run the games form the get go. They also have Million of dollars invested into them from the Developers due to the fact they make tons of money.

Consoles also have long legs, look at the PS2. At first it wasn't as good as the the already out 'Dreamcast' but towards the end of the PS2's life, it looked like a different beast. If you played God Of War 2 and ICO and even Shadow Of Colossus you would know.

17. StuartY

Games definitely look better at higher framerates; the reason why movies get away with it is because film cameras automatically blur images together, keeping it smooth. Although some games feature blur effects, that adds to the graphical requirements. Over 60FPS, however, you're getting into the territory where the human eye can't observe any increase. 30FPS still looks pretty smooth - it's when it drops below fifteen that it looks seriously lousy.

18. GYNGA

Fifteen? As I heard you need 24FPS to see it as a movie. If it is less you see how the pictures change each other.

19. Qaiz

no, If you play a game like Crysis on a Midrange to low end PC, you wouldn't get more then around 15FPS.

Its just a bit stuttery, but its not like a slideshow or something lol :p

20. Supper

The 3DS will hopefully look much better going through its life cycle!

21. Feld0

I find under 20 FPS to be generally hard to bear. There is definitely a noticeable difference between 30 and 60 FPS, though; see for yourself by playing SMG(02 and SMS one after the other. I guarantee you will appreciate SMG's higher FPS.

22. Qaiz

Yes you can notice it, but that just like saying HD is better then SD.

Yes you can 'appreciate' a better pixel density and better colors etc, but some people cant even tell that much difference unless its side by side.

Some pole on the other hand count every pixel on the screen.

You can live without it, but its a bit nicer.

23. Supper

So, SMS had 30 FPS, then what did SMG have?

24. kallumsmarties

wouldnt it be 120 like erm 3d tvs and monitors id do it like tht so its nice and smooth no rly bleh frames

25. Supper

Super Mario Galaxy was never able to be viewed in 3D. What are you talking about?

26. Feld0

SMG runs at a rock-solid 60 FPS. I have only encountered slow-down on one single, extremely isolated occasion.

27. Supper

Ok, thanks for the clarification. We'll all know the info very soon, so then I can finally quell my curiosity of 60 FPS games on the 3DS!