1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I see you've stumbled upon NintyBuzz Forums. Why not join in the fun and create an account now!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You may notice some advertisements while visiting NintyBuzz. For a less interrupted experience, please either log in to your account, or register for a free one.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

3DS Below Minimum Specs for Unreal Engine

Discussion in 'DS/3DS' started by Qaiz, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Qaiz

Nintendo's 3DS will unlikely be able to support Epic's Unreal Engine according to comments from the company's VP Mark Rein.

Speaking at GDC Online, Rein told Joystiq that Epic wasn't currently working on the 3DS. "It's below our [minimum specifications], from what we can tell," he said, "We don't have a 3DS, so there's no way for us to verify that. but everything we've been led to believe is that it's below our min-spec. You couldn't do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel] on it, for example."

[​IMG]

The is the graphics the iPhone is capable of.

Epic Citadel is a recently released tech demo for the iPhone, showing Unreal Engine running well on the device.

[​IMG]

Epic's Mark Rein admitted that the company had yet to receive a 3DS dev kit, but added "I think if [Nintendo] considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it."

[​IMG]

While Nintendo's 3DS may not be able to run the Unreal Engine its visuals are still likely to impress, as our comparison gallery shows.

Please realize that he doesn't have his actual hands on the 3DS and is going by the rumored specs, so we have to take this with a grain of salt. But if them specs are true, thats a major blow for Nintendo's 3d handheld.

2. Supper

That's too bad, but hopefully this will not be true!

3. ryty1231

Yoshi

25%
    It is disappointing, but still, it might not be true.

4. Qaiz

Yh, I hope it isn't true as well.

5. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    same here!

6. Homer Fanboy

Staff Member Flint Cragley

93%
    hey quaiz can you help m.e out i dont know how to make a thread but i have a good idea! i was thinking it could be characters you would like to see in the next super smash bros! can you tell me how to make a tab or maybe you could just make the thread?thanks!

7. Supper

At the top left corner of the board page, there is a button that says: "Post New Thread". Once you click on that, type in the title and your opening message and click "Submit New Thread". You have just made a new thread!

The good news we can get out of this is that they think the 3DS won't handle the engine only because they haven't received a dev kit.

8. Dan Jayden

Sounds like he's just a little bitter he didn't get a demo 3DS

9. Supper

I bet the 3DS is capable, but they just don't want them to create another tech demo for the 3DS. Have the makers of the Unreal Engine and Epic Citadel made any interactive games?

10. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Umm...this guy's known for bashing Nintendo every chance he gets. He's only using the fact that Nintendo didn't send him a 3DS dev. kit as an excuse to show off his Apple fanboyism. The 3DS is known to be more graphically capable than the iDevices, due to a large part to its having a dedicated GPU and two CPUs. The iDevices utilize a single CPU to handle everything: graphics, OS (which is always running in the background), other apps, etc. A very small part of an iDevice's power is actually usable by a game; an app is only allowed to use 24 MB of the device's several hundred MB of RAM, for example, whereas the 3DS has a comparatively generous 64 MB + 3 MB of dedicated GPU RAM + the ability to stream data off game cartridges to further decrease RAM usage.

[/nerdrant]

11. Supper

^I guess that means that it is probably not true, but could you give me some proof that the Epic Citadel guy is an "Apple Fanboy?"

12. Qaiz

This guy is known for hating Nintendo and he's using the specs that were leaked by IGN as refuge, but the iPhone is very capable of gaming. Have you see Epic Citadel? It looks beautiful, evermore so then Resident Evil Revelations, and thats impressive for a Phone that isn't made to game.

13. Supper

Nintendo might open up to them later maybe?

14. Qaiz

I doubt Nintendo would, Epic are really pretty much the face of the Xbox 360. due to hit games like Gears Of War, so Nintendo hitting up with Epic games, would be like Nintendo admitting the Xbox 360 has better games and developers.

15. Supper

Why do they work with Apple then? Aren't Apple and Microsoft sworn rivals?

16. Qaiz

Yh its complicated.

Epic Games aren't the problem, they will work for anyone as long as they have the sufficiency specs and are interested in Epic.

Apple probably wanted them on the iPhone due to the fact they want to make a huge blow to Microsoft mobile market etc

While Nintendo are more stuck up in the respect they haven even sent them a Dev kit or requested games.

Apple want them so they got them. Nintendo don't, they want more family oriented game rather then full on FPS games with blood and super amazing graphics. Nintendo don't do that, they want Mario games and Kid Icarus type of games

17. Supper

^That sounds pretty scornful because Nintendo is wanting FPS games with blood. (Resident Evil?)

18. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

Pfff, I think that the Epic guy is just jealous! There are games that are coming out for the 3DS that will be 10x better than most iPhone game graphics! Need an example? How about Dead or Alive: Dimensions, or the Resident Evil games!

19. Feld0

Feld0 Former 3DS Buzz Admin

Haha, well said. Do remember also that we're only seeing the very first generation of 3DS games right now; as developers gain more experience with the hardware over time, Resident Evil Revelations, Dead or Alive, etc. will look bad to us in a couple of years compared to what we'll be seeing then!

Remember how Metroid Prime 3 redefined the definition of the Wii's power? And then how Super Mario Galaxy did it again? It's not just on the Wii, though, that this has happened. Back on the N64, Majora's Mask knocked the socks off of everyone who saw the amazing, detailed, hi-res landscapes of Termina. And even before then, Yoshi's Island (yay! :p) proved that the SNES had power in store that had never been seen before.

All I'm saying is that we've seen nothing of the 3DS's full potential yet.

20. Qaiz

Well I cant really get my voice across on a 'Nintendo' forum now can I?

Its obvious that your all bias, but what did I expect?

Sigh...

21. Supper

What do you mean? I just said that they are opening up to more "mature" games.

22. Someone

Someone Grammar Cop

I try not to be biased, but that's impossible not to ALL the time, since Sony copies Nintendo a lot, and I am a bit peeved at that fact. If you want people that are biased toward Sony, then it would be best to go to a forum on a Sony website. I also read what you say, and I do that trying to understand why you think that. The guy was just known for putting down Nintendo, so I took it like that's what he meant to do. We may be biased, but you may be a little biased, too.

Feld0, yeah, if we think the Resident Evil games are good, I can't wait to see how good the quality of future games are!

23. Supper

I don't know about what Epic Games does except their showcase game, but I do think the Unreal Engine would be possible on the 3DS; the CEO hasn't gotten a developer's one yet, though. It looked like he wanted one, too!

24. Come2Fabi

Come2Fabi INACTIVE

25. Supper

^Link? So you are saying that Crytek is interested in developing for the 3DS using its engine?